I received my Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision from Kent State University in 2006. I am interested in the in the neurodevelopmental mechanisms of trauma, attachment theory, and clinical supervision. I regularly publish in professional journals on each of these topics.
Areas of ExpertiseAdult Learning; Mental Health
- Kindsvatter, A., & Desmond, K.J. (2013). A problem- based approach to facilitation of skill aquisition and cognitive complexity with pre- practicum students. The Clinical Supervisor.
- Kindsvatter, A., & Geroski, A. (in press). The impact of early life stress on the neurodevelopment of the stress response system. Journal of Counseling and Development
- Kindsvatter, A. & Desmond, K.J. (2013). Addressing parent - child conflict: Attachment- based interventions with parents. Journal of Counseling and Development
- Kindsvatter, A., Desmond, K. J. Yanikoski, A., Stahl, S. (2013). The use of therapeutic Letters in addressing parent-child attachment problems. The Family Journal, 21 (1), 74-79.
- Kindsvatter, A., & Lara, T. (2012) The facilitation and maintenance of the therapeutic alliance in family therapy. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 42 (4), 235-242.
- Kindsvatter, A., Nelson, J., & Desmond, K. J. (2009). An invitation to between- session reflection: The use of therapeutic letters in family and couples counseling. The Family Journal, 17(1), 32-38.
- Kindsvatter, A., Onedera, J. D., & Dean E. P. (2008). Structural techniques for engaging reluctant parents in counseling. The Family Journal, 16(3), 204-213.
- Kindsvatter, A., Granello, D. H., & Onedera, J. D. (2008). Cognitive techniques as a means for facilitating supervisee development. Counselor Education and Supervision, 47(3), 179-192.
- Duba, J. D., Kindsvatter, A., & Lara, T. (2008). Treating infidelity: Considering narratives of attachment. The Family Journal 16(4), 293-299.
- Granello, D. H., Kindsvatter, A., Granello, P. F., Underfer-Babalis, J., & Hartwig- Moorhead, H. J. (2008). Multiple perspectives in supervision: Using a peer consultation model to enhance supervisor development. Counselor Education and Supervision, 48(1), 32-47.
- Osborn, C. J., West, J. D., Kindsvatter, A., & Paez, S. B. (2008). Collaborative care map construction: Intentional interactions to involve clients in the planning process. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy 38, 169-176.
- Onedera, J. D., Minatrea, N., & Kindsvatter, A. (2007). Collaboration between licensed mental health professionals and religious leaders. In J. D. Onedera (Ed.), The role of religion in marriage and family counseling. New York, NY: Taylor and Francis.
- Kindsvatter, A. (2006). Listening to our literature, listening to our clients: An interview with Barry Duncan and Scott Miller. The Family Journal 14(2), 184-188.
- Kindsvatter, A. (2005). Huckleberry Finn reconsidered: An interview with David Nylund. The Family Journal, 13(4), 503-506.
- McGlothlin, J., Rainey, S., & Kindsvatter, A. (2005). Suicidal clients and supervisees: A model for considering supervisor roles. Counselor Education and Supervision, 45(2), 135-146.
- American Counseling Association (ACA), American School Counseling Association (ASCA), Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES), Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD), Counselors for Social Justice
Licensure or Certifications
- Licensed Professional Counselor- (Kentucky) License # KY-0583 (Ohio) License # C8120 (inactive)
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision from Kent State University
- M.Ed. in Community Counseling from Kent State University
Office: 102B Mann Hall