Staff Biography | Laurie Gelles
Laurie Gelles oversees all technology and communications within the College of Education and Social Services (CESS). Laurie, understanding related trends in management education and academic technology, is responsible for developing strategies, and implementing plans, to assure effective use of technologies most suited for academic study and for integrating technology in all the school's academic programs. She serves as a liaison between the Dean and the CIO to meet the requirements of the University's technology initiatives. Laurie provides leadership, consultation and advice on integrating technology into curriculum as well as policy. She is responsible for college web site maintenance, as well as training departmental staff on updating supporting sites throughout the college. Laurie also is acting chair of the college communications team, and coordinates all print and web-based media from CESS.
Years at UVM: 9
- Gelles, L. M. (2012) From Pong to PS3: How video games enhance our capacity to learn and build community. In F. Miller (Ed.), Transforming Learning Environments: Strategies to Shape the Next Generation. United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. [abstract]
- Baker, E. & Gelles, L. M. (2011, February). E-portfolios in Teacher Preparation Programs: Evaluating candidate performance, contributing to program revision, collection of assessment data. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, San Diego, CA.
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from The University of Vermont
- M.A. in Education: Instructional Design and Technologies from San Francisco State University
- B.S. in Elementary Education with a focus in Math & Music from The University of Vermont
Licensure or Certifications
- Vermont Educator License, Elementary Education (K-6) & Middle Grades Mathematics (5-9)