Staff Biography | Laurie Gelles
Laurie Gelles oversees all technology and communications within the College of Education and Social Services (CESS). Laurie, understanding related trends in management education and academic technology, is responsible for developing strategies, and implementing plans, to assure effective use of technologies most suited for academic study and for integrating technology in all the school's academic programs. She serves as a liaison between the Dean and the CIO to meet the requirements of the University's technology initiatives. Laurie provides leadership, consultation and advice on integrating technology into curriculum as well as policy. She is responsible for college web site maintenance, as well as training departmental staff on updating supporting sites throughout the college. Laurie also is acting chair of the college communications team, and coordinates all print and web-based media from CESS.
Years at UVM: 10
- Gelles, L. M. (2012) From Pong to PS3: How video games enhance our capacity to learn and build community. In F. Miller (Ed.), Transforming Learning Environments: Strategies to Shape the Next Generation. United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. [abstract]
- Baker, E. & Gelles, L. M. (2011, February). E-portfolios in Teacher Preparation Programs: Evaluating candidate performance, contributing to program revision, collection of assessment data. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, San Diego, CA.
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from The University of Vermont
- M.A. in Education: Instructional Design and Technologies from San Francisco State University
- B.S. in Elementary Education with a focus in Math & Music from The University of Vermont
Awards & Honors
- Apple Distinguished Educator from Apple: The Apple Distinguished Educator (ADE) Program began in 1994, when Apple recognized K-12 and higher education pioneers who are using a variety of Apple products to transform teaching and learning in powerful ways. Today it has grown into a worldwide community of over 2,000 visionary educators and innovative leaders who are doing amazing things with Apple technology in and out of the classroom. Apple is pleased to welcome (ADE Name) to the ADE Class of 2015. Learn more about this group of innovative educators online at http://www.apple.com/education/apple-distinguished-educator . (2015)
Licensure or Certifications
- Vermont Educator License, Elementary Education (K-6) & Middle Grades Mathematics (5-9)