Faculty Biography | Susan Edelman
Susan Edelman, Ed.D.Research Associate Professor
317A Mann Hall
Susan is the Director of two federal grant projects totaling nearly $490,000 per year. The VT Deafblind Project has been continuously funded for 22 years providing consultation and training to teams and families of VT students with dual sensory losses. UDL@UVM is designed to establish Universal Design for Learning practices among UVM faculty. Susan holds a Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy from the University of Pittsburgh, Master's in Special Education as well as an Ed.D. in Education Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Vermont. The combination of backgrounds and professional experiences in physical therapy, special education for students with intensive educational needs, universal design, collaborative consultation with adults, and research converge in her approach to working with students, faculty, families and professionals. She has taught at UVM for 33 years and continues to lead seminars, workshops and invited presentations.
Areas of Expertise:
Adult Learning; Collaboration; Disability and Inclusion; Leadership; Organizational Development; Special Education; Universal Design
Deaf-Blind Project/Universal Design Project, Intensive Special Education, Universal Course Design (Equity and Excellence in Higher Education), Universal Design for Learning
- Edelman, S.W., Dennis, R.E., Prelock, P.A, MacLeod, M. & Potvin, M (2007). "QG 18: Getting the most out of support services." In Michael F. Giangreco & Mary Beth Doyle (Eds.) Quick-Guides to Inclusion: Ideas for Educating Students with Disabilities (2nd Ed.). Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing.
- Dennis, R.E., Edelman, S.W., Prelock, P.A. (2006). "Sensory & motor considerations in the assessment of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders." In P. Prelock (Ed). Autism Spectrum Disorders: Issues in assessment and intervention. San Antonio: Pro-Ed
- Ed.D. in Education Leadership and Policy Studies from University of Vermont
- M.Ed. in Intensive Special Education from University of Vermont
- B.S. in Physical Therapy from University of Pittsburgh