Faculty Biography | Katharine Shepherd
Katharine Shepherd, Ed.D.Associate Professor
499B Waterman Building
Katharine Shepherd, Ed.D., is an Associate Professor in the College of Education and Social Services at the University of Vermont, where she teaches courses in collaborative consultation, special education assessment, research methods, and systems of services for individuals with disabilities and their families. Her research interests include collaboration among schools and families, transition processes for youth with disabilities and their families, and state and school wide implementation of inclusive policies and practices, including Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS). Dr. Shepherd coordinates the Special Education Program and is President-Elect of the Higher Education Consortium on Special Education (HECSE). Selected research outlets include Exceptional Children, TEACHING Exceptional Children, and Rural Special Education Quarterly.
Areas of Expertise:
Assessment and Evaluation; Collaboration; Educational Policy; Leadership; Reading Education and Literacy; Research Methods; Response to Intervention (RTI); Social Justice; Special Education
Center on Disability and Community Inclusion (CDCI), National Institute on Leadership, Disability and Students Placed at Risk, Parents as Collaborative Leaders: Improving Outcomes for Children with Disabilities, Responsiveness to Instruction
- Shepherd, K. G., Giangreco, M. F., & Cook, B. G. (2013). Increasing parental participation in the IEP process. In B. G. Cook & M. Tankersley (Eds.), Research-based practices in special education. Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Cook, B. G., Shepherd, K., Cook, S. C., & Cook, L. (2012). Facilitating the effective implementation of evidence-based practices through teacher–parent collaboration. Teaching Exceptional Children, 44(3), 22-30.
- Shepherd, K., & Salembier, G. (Fall, 2011). Improving schools through a response to intervention approach: A cross-case analysis of three rural schools. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 30 (3), 3 - 15.
- Shepherd, K., & Salembier, G. (2010). Leading, learning, and literacy: Implementing a response to intervention approach in the Riverside elementary school. New England Reading Association Journal 46, (1), 38 – 49.
- Shepherd, K. & Hasazi, S. (2009). Leading beyond labels: The role of the principal in leading through a social justice framework. In Transformative Leadership: Preparing Students for Global Social Justice. SUNY press.
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Assessment in Special Education; Collaborative Consultation; History and Systems of Services to Individuals with Disabilities ; Internship in Special Education
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from University of Vermont
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD), Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)