Faculty Biography | Jane Okech
Jane Okech, Ph.D.Associate Professor
101B Mann Hall
Dr. Jane Okech is an Associate Professor in Counselor Education & Counseling and Coordinator of the UVM-Graduate Counseling Program. Her primary areas of specialization and scholarship are group dynamics, theory and practice, Clinical supervision theory and practice, diversity and multicultural counseling clinical competencies. Associated aspects of this research and scholarship agenda are qualitative research methodology, ethics and professional counseling practice standards. Her social and service interests include addressing gender disparity issues in education and the promotion of children's access to mental health services.
Areas of Expertise:
Ethics; History of Counseling; Human Development and Identity; Leadership; Mental Health; Multiculturalism; Research Methods; Social Justice
UVM Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Interdisciplinary Trainning Program
- Okech, J. E. A., & Kimemia, M. (2013). Professional Counseling in Kenya. In Hohenshil, T, Amundson, N., & Niles, S. (Eds.), Counseling Around the World: An International Handbook. (pp.31-40). American Counseling Association. [abstract]
- Champe, J., Okech, J. E. A., & Rubel, D. (2013). Emotion regulation: processes, strategies, and applications for group work training and supervision, Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 38 (4), 349-368. [abstract]
- Okech, J. E. A., & Kimemia, M. (2012). Professional Counseling in Kenya: History, current status, and future trends, Journal of Counseling & Development, 90, 107-118.. [abstract]
- Okech, J. E. A. (2012). A Multidimensional Assessment of Children in Conflictual Contexts: The Case of Kenya. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, 34 (4), p331-348. [abstract]
- Rubel, D. & Okech, J. E. A. (2011). Qualitative research in group work. In R. K. Conyne (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Group Counseling.(pp. 260-286). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Champe, J., Rubel, D., & Okech, J. E. A. (2014). Working with group leader-directed anger: Emotion regulation strategies. ). Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW) Conference, Orlando, FL, USA.
- Champe, J., Okech, J. E.A., & Rubel, D. (2013). Promoting Emotion Regulation in Counseling Supervisees. Association for Counselor Educators & Supervisors Conference, Denver, CO, USA.
- Amundson, N., Niles, S., Okech, J., Lim, B., Henning, S., Thomas, R., Kimemia, M., & Maat, M. T. (2013). Counseling Around the World: Increasing Global Literacy. Panel session at the Annual American Counseling Association Convention, Cincinnati, OH, USA.
- Okech, J. E. A. (2013). Diversity & Multicultural Counseling Workshop. Vermont Mental Health Counselors Association Annual Ethics Workshop (9.00-4.45pm). Montpelier, VT.
- Okech, J. E. A. (2012). Dual & Multiple Relationships: Their Impact on the Practice of Counseling & Clinical Supervision. Vermont Mental Health Counselors Association Annual Ethics Workshop (8.00-1.00PM). Montpelier, VT.
Courses Taught in the Last 5 Years
Advanced Group Counseling: Theory & Practice; DBT: Fundamental Change Strategies ; DBT: Origins & Theory ; DBT: Validation and Dialects ; Developmental Perspectives in Counseling; Internship in Mental Health & School Counseling; Laboratory Experience in Counseling; Practicum/Internship in Mental Health & School Counseling; Professional Issues in Counseling; The Practice of Mental Health Counseling
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Counseling from Idaho State University
- M.A. in Counseling Psychology from United Sates International University-Africa
- B.Ed in Education from Kenyatta University
Awards & Honors
- WACES-Research Award from Western Association for Counselor Educators & Supervisors: Okech, J. E. A., Astramovich, R., Johnson, M., Hoskins, W., & Rubel, D. (2006). Doctoral research training of counselor education faculty. Counselor Education & Supervision, 46(2), 131-145. (2008)
- UVM-Outstanding Faculty Woman Award from University of Vermontâ€™s Womenâ€™s Center and Womenâ€™s & Gender Studies Program: 2007-Outstanding Faculty Woman Award. University of Vermontâ€™s Womenâ€™s Center and Womenâ€™s & Gender Studies Program, Burlington, VT, USA. This award honors faculty women who have made significant contributions to the lives of women on campus through service, teaching and feminist scholarship. (2007)
- ASGW-Outstanding Article Award from Editorial Board-Journal for Specialist in Group Work: 2005-Outstanding Article Award-Selected by the 30 editorial board members of the Journal for Specialist in Group work. This national award was presented on April 1, 2006 at the Annual American Counseling Association Conference in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (2005)
Licensure or Certifications
- National Certified Counselor(NCC)#69585
- licensed Professional Counselor(LPC) ID, #2803-Inactive
- American Counseling Association (ACA), American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA), Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES), Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW), North Atlantic Regional Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NARACES), Vermont Mental Health Counselors Association (VTMHCA)