Getting Started with the Calculus Labs
- First time only: Open up My Computer, and make a folder for your Mathematica labs on your network drive (M drive).
- Use your web browser to download a Mathematica notebook file into the folder that you made on your M drive. (If you are working on your own computer, you can also save to a folder on your hard drive, but it is usually preferable to save to the network so that you can access your file from anywhere.)
Important: If you are downloading a lab for Math 21 or 22, change the X in the filename to the letter of the section you are in, and the zzzz to your login name before saving your file.
- Open up your file from My Computer, or with File, Open from within Mathematica. You can open up as many files as you like with File, Open (or File, New if you want a blank notebook to work in) but be careful not to start up multiple copies of the Mathematica software.
- Read and follow the instructions contained in the labs. To execute a command that has already been typed in the lab, simply click on it and execute it with Shift-Enter. To insert your own commands, hold the mouse pointer between cells (look on the far right of the window for brackets that mark off the individual cells) so that the cursor turns sideways, click the mouse so that you get a horizontal line going across the window, then type in your command and execute it with Shift-Enter.
- Periodically save your file while you work so that if something goes wrong you don't lose everything.
- If you submit a lab to your instructor via e-mail, the subject of the e-mail must be exactly the same as the name of the file you are sending, for example math21F_lab2_bsmith.nb
It's a good idea to delete output before sending files through the mail, especially if you have a lot of graphics.
Change your password: If your account is brand new, before logging out you should change your password to something you can remember. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select the Change Password option. For security, your new password should be at least 6 characters long, and should not be a word or name that could be found in a dictionary. Keep your password secure. Do not share it with anyone.