Technical Workshop Announcement
Capacity Building for Forest Carbon Projects
in the Ukrainian Carpathians
May 28-29, 2012
Trust for Mutual Understanding;
and European Forest Institute, Central and Eastern Europe Programme
Agency for Sustainable Development of the Carpathian Region "FORZA";
Carpathian Biosphere Reserve;
Ukrainian National Forestry University, Institute for Ecological Economics; and
University of Vermont, Carbon Dynamics Laboratory
We are pleased to announce a technical workshop devoted to capacity building for forest carbon projects in the Carpathian Mountain region of western Ukraine, to be held May 28-29 in Uzhhorod, Ukraine.
The workshop, by invitation only, will introduce technical experts to in-country project partners and institutional representatives. Participants will work closely together over two days, assembling information and resources that will lay the ground work for future forest carbon projects.
Our goal is to build capacity that will help project developers create "improved forest management" projects capable of generating marketable offset credits. To do this we will conduct a series of brainstorming and information sharing sessions, focusing on critical opportunities and challenges specific to this region. Outcomes will include: 1) establishment of a regional network of experts, 2) technical publications summarizing findings, and 3) creation of on-going partnerships.
Topics and activities will include:
- Context under both compliance and voluntary international market systems
- Discussion of forest policy, governance, and institutional opportunities and challenges
- Identification of potential project sites
- Vetting of available inventory datasets
- Feasibility and need for supplemental data collection
- Next steps for developing a regionally calibrated forest growth and yield model
- Estimation of potential carbon storage additionality and credit value on candidate sites
- Connection to sustainable wood bioenergy development
- Discussion of experience and opportunities with in-country project partners
- Exploration of potential project funding mechanisms
- Visit to a demonstration field site testing relevant silvicultural systems
Dates: May 28-29, 2012
Times: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM on May 28th and 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM on May 29th
Location: Hotel Uzhgorod (http://www.hoteluzhgorod.com/) in Uzhgorod, Ukraine.
Accommodations: A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Uzhgorod. Rooms are available on a first come, first serve basis. Rates per room range from 340 to 770 UAH. Other hotels in the area include: Duet Plus (http://www.hotel-duet.com/), Ungvarskiy Hotel (http://www.ungvarskiy-hotel.com.ua/), and Hotel Druzhba (www.hoteldruzhba.com.ua). Expenses: Registration is free for this event. For Ukrainian participants, the sponsors will also cover meals during the workshop, accommodations, and travel. International participants are asked to cover travel and accommodations, though meals will be provided. Alcoholic beverages are not covered.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. William Keeton, Carbon Dynamics Laboratory, Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405 USA
Tel: 011-802-656-2518 Email: email@example.com
For a full project description, please see: http://www.forza.org.ua
Last modified May 30 2012 10:08 AM