Most of you did a pretty good job with the functional requirements of the application. There were more than a few points taken off for not following the assignment instructions. I implore you: please read the instructions carefully and if you have questions, see me, Prof Eddy, or one of the other TAs. This is a silly way to lose points.

Some other general feedback:

• While many used the with open idiom to open your data file, many did not. This idiom is pretty standard and I encourage its use.

• Some of you elected not to use the CSV module – which is part of the Python standard library. That’s OK if that’s your decision, but I encourage you to use standard library modules where appropriate. It’s good practice, it helps you write cleaner code, and you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. (N.B. I refer only to standard library modules and not third-party modules.) The standard library is substantial (even after many years programming in Python I couldn’t claim to be familiar with every module.) The point is: there’s a lot out there at your disposal. Use it!

• Apropos of the above, if you find yourself writing a parser then you’ve missed an opportunity (unless, of course, your task is to write a parser).

• If you find yourself repeating blocks of code, or blocks of very similar code, chances are near 100% that you’ve made an error in design. Take a step back and assess. See: Code Smells on Wikipedia and notice that duplicated code is the first item on the list for application-level smells!

• Generally, I frown on mixing file I/O and logic, though I understand your reasons for doing so in this assignment and did not deduct points. Even in an environment where you’re using a database and not the file system for storing your data, it’s good practice to avoid having to go back to the well any more than is necessary.

• Give thought to appropriate data structures for your application. This can save you much heartache and frustration.

• Always provide instructions for testing your code in a separate file.

• Finally, since this is a course on cybersecurity, be watchful. Some of you wrote code that introduced vulnerabilities in your application. Always be on the lookout.

HTH