University of Vermont




What is CAT$cratch and why would I need it?

CAT$cratch is UVM's prepaid debit account which works right off your CATcard. Opening a CAT$cratch account is a safe, convenient way to have access to goods and services without always having your purse or wallet with you. Typically you will have your ID card with you as it is needed for your residence hall and to access your meal plan. CAT$cratch has no fees attached so you will never overdraw this account. If you lose a debit or credit card it may take a couple weeks to replace, where as the CATcard can be replaced the same day.

How do I open an account and make deposits?

Opening an account is easy, just print off the application form and either mail it or bring it in to our office. After the account is open you can make deposits in our office, using cash, check, and credit or debit card. If writing a check, make payable to UVM. Deposits can be made through our secure website, just click web deposit. Credit card deposits are treated as a payment and not a cash advance by your credit card company. Remember, CAT$cratch rolls over semester to semester and year to year. If you have a balance left when you graduate or leave the University we take a $10.00 closing fee and send you a check for the rest.

Who can open a CAT$cratch account?

Anyone who has any type of ID from the CATcard Office is able to open a CAT$cratch Account. This includes CATcard, courtesy cards for dependents, FA housestaff, dining services, vendor and alumni cards.

How do I check my balance?

Using the WEBcard Center you can check your balance and transaction history. Giving your parents your WEBcard password (different from your e-mail password) and your e-mail address will allow them to also check your balance and transaction history.

Where can CAT$cratch be used?

CAT$cratch can be used for a variety of goods and services including buying books at UVM Bookstore and groceries downtown at City Market. For a complete list of hundreds of locations, check out our on campus and off campus web pages.

Do I need a debit or credit card?

CAT$cratch cannot be used for cash withdrawals so it is a good idea to have a way to access cash.

What if I lose it, can someone else use it?

Your CATcard is a photo ID which is checked at the time of purchase. Businesses not only check the photo but require a signature as well.

What is the difference between CAT$cratch and meal points?

Meal points will work only in Sodexo dining locations on campus, which include Brennan's and the Marketplace. CAT$cratch also works in all the dining locations, vending machines, the UVM Bookstore, CATpause, Henderson's and over 120 off-campus locations in the Burlington area. All first year students and sophomores are required to have a meal plan.

If I am an employee can I have payroll deduction for CAT$cratch?

Yes, you can set up automatic deductions through PeopleSoft Self Serve.

Still have questions?

For any questions we have not covered, please feel free to call us at 656-4509 or stop by our office at Billings Library, 48 University Place. You can e-mail any questions to and we will get back to you within two business days.









Last modified May 27 2016 12:43 PM