Diversity in Health Professions
- Join UVM's Minority Association of Premedical Students
- National Initiatives to Increase Diverstity of Pre Health Students
- Summer Enhancement Programs for Pre-Medical and Pre-Dental Students
- Research Opportunities
- Additional Links
JOIN UVM'S MINORITY ASSOCIATION OF PREMEDICAL STUDENTS
MAPS-UVM is dedicated to guiding future under-represented medical students through professional and academic support. We intend to facilitate on-campus networking and enhance career-centered opportunities, as well as aid the personal development of identities as these students prepare themselves to become competitive medical school applicants.
Contact us at email@example.com
How to Get Started:
- Contact Faith Rushford, the Pre Health Advisor
- Read MAPS Chapter Resources
- Review UVM SGA club recognition requirements
- Contact Student National Medical Association for MAP chapter recognition
NATIONAL INITIATIVES TO INCREASE DIVERSITY OF PRE HEALTH STUDENTS
AAMC Aspiring Docs The Association of American Medical Colleges’ dedicated site for informing, advising and mentoring under-represented premedical students. Follow this First Year Medical Student Blog - Aspiring Docs Diaries.
Tour For Diversity In Medicine Co-directed by two physicians of color, the Tour for Diversity hosts day-long conferences on select campuses across the country to promote diversity in the health professions through mentorship. Undergraduate and postbaccalaureate students from hosting universities and the surrounding areas are invited to participate. Registration is required. Visit their Voices of Diversity Blog.
Note: The Northeast tour is scheduled for Fall 2013. Stay tuned!
SUMMER ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMS FOR PRE-MEDICAL AND PRE-DENTAL STUDENTS
These programs are designed to support under-represented or disadvantaged premedical and pre-dental students by enhancing their preparation and competitiveness as candidates for medical and dental school respectively. Typically tuition-free, these programs may offer the following:
• Academic enhancement and skill development
• Admission test preparation
• Clinical exposure or experience
Moreover, some schools use these programs as a recruiting tool to improve the diversity of their own medical and dental school enrollment.
American Association of Medical Colleges Enrichment Programs Database
Searchable by location, focus, education level and length of program
A Sampling of Programs:
- Six-week expense-free program located on 12 different college campuses.
- Application cycle opens November 1st. Apply early!
- Early March deadline
- No Tuition Cost
• Six-week Summer Premedical Enrichment Program
• Stipend provided
• Applications are due March 1st
• Summer Premedical Academic Enrichment Program
• Stipend provided
• Visit site for application deadline
• Educational grant provided
• March deadline
View these directories and listings for summer research opportunities off campus.
NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program
Paid summer research training at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Summer Opportunities for Disadvantaged and Minority Students
See research section for listing
Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
Association of American Medical Colleges’ (AAMC) listing
Student National Medical Association
The oldest and largest student-run organization focused on the concerns of medical students of color. Membership includes premedical students in MAPS or Minority Association of Premedical Students chapters. There are 120 formally recognized MAPS chapters nationally. Interested in starting a chapter at UVM? Contact Faith Rushford, the Pre Health Advisor.
Summer Research, Internship and Enhancement Opportunities
A comprehensive listing provided by The National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions
Last modified April 04 2013 01:55 PM