Lecture Eight CALS 001 Foundations:
Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Oct 25-29, 2010.
A (90220) Mondays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Fleming 101
(90221) Wednesdays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Dewey 314
Lecture C (93409) Fridays
1:55 - 2:45 pm,
(94310) Tuesdays 2:30 -
3:20 pm, Stafford 101
away all electronic devices
(lap tops, cell phones, Blackberrys, I-Pods, etc.), take out pen and
paper to take notes.
Attendance speech: 15 seconds or less, First Name, Last Name, "someday I would like to visit ____".
Mid-Term Exam next week! 45 multiple-choice questions on paper. Study guide here!
Withdrawing from a course Deadline: Nov 1 Monday mid-day. FAQ
Tips from TAs:
- Work on Powerful Endings
- Keep the OBJECTIVE separate from the Preview.
using PowerPoint, use primarily for Images (sourced), Do not use text
and animation, or if you must, keep them to an absolute minimum.
Talk to audience, not to screen.
- Work on Creative Hooks.
- Follow the Grading Rubrick for the reflection folders.
- Tie long hair back (so not constantly pushing hair back), no hats or gum.
- Assigned TED Talks: Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight" Jessica Jackley's "Money & Love", Dan Pink's "Motivation"
your Persuasive & Choice Presentations.
- Bring your
Flash Memory stick (2+
Gigs, with 500 MB free) and bring to lab if you are presenting.
- Check Syllabus
speaking schedule for when you are reading/presenting and your lab role.
- Your completed Reflection Folder is due at the beginning of lab the week after your present your Persuasive Presentation.
once a week (need at least 14 postings by the last day of classes).
your academic advisor and have them sign the Advisor
Formal (lecture) Introduction. These continue next
week. Names will be called at random. If you are