Strategic and Operational Planning in AFS
Strategic plans set the long-term direction and objectives of the organization. The time frame for strategic plans varies, but typically covers at least 3 and as many as 10 years.
Operational plans, which flow from the strategic plan, focus on day-to-day management of the organization and address the allocation of resources and functional strategies. The time frame for operational plans is about one year.
In 2003, The University of Vermont identified strategic goals for its long range strategic planning:
- create a diverse community;
- create an outstanding student experience that promotes personal and intellectual development;
- focus the human, fiscal, environmental, technological and physical resources of the University on institutional values and priorities;
- recruit and retain excellent students, faculty and staff;
- strengthen and focus academic programs, emphasizing liberal education, health and the environment;
- strengthen financial resources;
- strengthen research, scholarship and the creative arts;
- effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
AFS departments have created strategic plans that align with the goals of the University. We’ve identified a few additional strategic goals that are integral to our work, including identifying customer requirements and satisfaction levels; supporting an environmentally responsible, safe and healthy campus; planning and managing capital projects as reflected in the University’s Vision and Campus Master Plan; managing and providing support for our IT resources; and modeling performance excellence.
AFS departments participate in an annual review process for strategic plans, including an evaluation of the strategic action steps for each goal. A progress report is prepared and submitted to the University Planning Council. Plans are updated, with the removal of completed action steps and the addition of new strategic initiatives and measures.
A systematic operational planning process is in development and will be implemented by the beginning of FY ’07 for all AFS departments.
Last modified February 11 2008 11:29 AM