University of Vermont


International Students

The University of Vermont is committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of international students studying at UVM, both while they are on campus, and as they travel—both within the US and abroad.

Since insurance policies vary widely regarding international or travel coverage, UVM requires all international students (J-1 or F-1 visa) to pay the UVM Health Fee and enroll in the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (UVM SHIP). International students are automatically enrolled in UVM SHIP.

International students, like any student enrolled in the UVM SHIP, are required to obtain routine/preventative health care at UVM's Center for Health and Wellbeing (CHWB), and are required to obtain a referral before seeking any health care service outside of CHWB.

If a student must be seen after hours at an Emergency Room or urgent care facility, we advise them to contact the UVM Student Health Insurance Office as soon as they are able, to obtain a referral for services. This will ensure preferred levels of coverage.

Last modified April 03 2014 05:52 PM