UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (UVM SHIP)
Students as described below are eligible to enroll in the UVM SHIP. ALL students enrolled must have paid the UVM Health Fee, either within the Full Time Student Comprehensive Fee, or as a stand-alone Health Fee.
As long as they have paid the UVM Health Fee, the following students are eligible for UVM SHIP coverage:
- Any undergraduate, medical college or continuing education student taking 6 or more credits.
- Any graduate student taking 5 or more credits.
- International students holding F-1 or J-1 visas (enrollment is mandatory for these students).
- Graduate students with "Grad 902" or "Grad 903" status.
Overview of UVM SHIP
We strongly suggest that you read the UVM SHIP 2015/2016 Benefits Summary to understand all of the features and benefits of the UVM Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Insurance coverage period: August 1 - July 31 each year.
- Students enrolled in the UVM SHIP must pay the UVM Health Fee. The Health Fee covers most health and counseling services at UVM's Center for Health & Wellbeing (CHWB), regardless of a student’s health insurance coverage.
- The UVM SHIP covers all routine and preventative health care ONLY when they are obtained at the CHWB offices. Preventative services available at CHWB will not be covered at any off-campus facility.
- Students should obtain a referral from CHWB before obtaining care elsewhere. There is a $100 deductible for services obtained outside of CHWB without a referral.
- Prescription Drug Coverage: After a co-payment, prescriptions are covered at 100% (in network).
- Psychiatric Services at CHWB: students with UVM SHIP are covered at 100% of the initial visit and 90% of each follow up visit.
- Students who have purchased the UVM SHIP and who later withdraw or fall below 6 credits (undergraduates) or 5 credits (graduate students) may keep the insurance policy for the remainder of the semester from which they withdraw, but they are not eligible for CHWB services (even though they have also paid the Health Fee).
Vision and Dental Coverage
The UVM Student Health Insurance Plan is a basic medical and injury policy. The plan does NOT include dental insurance. However, our service broker, University Health Plans, does provide both Dental and Vision plans for any interested UVM students, regardless of whether they are enrolled in the UVM SHIP. More information is available at UHP website.
How to Enroll in UVM SHIP
To enroll in UVM SHIP coverage, students should complete the Annual Insurance Decision/Waiver form as soon as possible after registering for that term's classes. Enrollment in the plan is not permitted after September 15 for Fall semester, but please complete the online Insurance Decision/waiver form by August 1st.
Enrollment After the Enrollment Deadline
If a student waives UVM SHIP coverage, he or she can only enroll at a later date under certain very limited circumstances. For more information, contact University Health Plans directly.
Last modified June 11 2015 11:54 AM