UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (UVM SHIP)
Students as described below are eligible to enroll in the UVM SHIP. ALL students enrolled must have paid the UVM Health Fee, either within the Full Time Student Comprehensive Fee, or as a stand-alone Health Fee.
As long as they have paid the UVM Health Fee, the following students are eligible for UVM SHIP coverage:
- Any undergraduate, medical college or continuing education student taking 6 or more credits.
- Any graduate student taking 5 or more credits.
- International students holding F-1 or J-1 visas (enrollment is mandatory for these students).
- Graduate students with "Grad 902" or "Grad 903" status.
Overview of UVM SHIP
We strongly suggest that you read the Summary of Benefits and the Benefits Brochure to understand all the features and benefits of UVM SHIP.
- Insurance coverage period: August 1 - July 31 each year.
- Students enrolled in the UVM SHIP must pay the UVM Health Fee. The Health Fee covers most health and counseling services at UVM's Center for Health & Wellbeing (CHWB), regardless of a student’s health insurance coverage.
- The UVM SHIP covers all routine and preventative health care ONLY when they are obtained at the CHWB offices. Preventative services available at CHWB will not be covered at any off-campus facility.
- Students should obtain a referral from CHWB before obtaining care elsewhere. There is a $200 deductible for services obtained outside of CHWB without a referral.
- Prescription Drug Coverage: After a co-payment, prescriptions are covered at 100% (in network).
- Psychiatric Services at CHWB: students with UVM SHIP are covered at 100% of the initial visit and 90% of each follow up visit.
- Students who have purchased the UVM SHIP and who later withdraw or fall below 6 credits (undergraduates) or 5 credits (graduate students) may keep the insurance policy for the remainder of the semester from which they withdraw, but they are not eligible for CHWB services (even though they have also paid the Health Fee).
Vision and Dental Coverage
The UVM Student Health Insurance Plan is a basic medical and injury policy. The plan does NOT include vision or dental insurance. However, our service broker, University Health Plans, does provide separate Vision Care and Dental Care plans for interested UVM students. Students do NOT need to be enrolled in the UVM SHIP in order to purchase these plans. More information is available at the UHP website.
How to Enroll in UVM SHIP
To enroll in UVM SHIP coverage, students should complete the Annual Insurance Decision/Waiver Process as soon as possible after registering for that term's classes. The final enrollment deadline is September 15 for fall semester enrollment, but please complete the insurance decision process by August 15th.
Enrollment After the Enrollment Deadline
If a student waives UVM SHIP coverage, he or she can only enroll at a later date under certain very limited circumstances. For more information, contact University Health Plans directly.
Last modified July 10 2014 01:47 PM