Sponsored Project Administration - SPA
Try Pivot Today!
Pivot Funding and Collaboration Tool
UVM has recently obtained a trial subscription to Pivot. Pivot is a web-based product that brings together a funding database known as Community of Science (COS), and a scholar expertise database, COS Scholar Universe populated with over 3 million scholar profiles including UVM faculty and scholars worldwide. These profiles are pre-populated with verified affiliation and publication information. Pivot matches profiles with suggested funding opportunities and with potential collaborators at UVM and at other institutions. As the researcher’s profile information changes and the funding opportunities are updated, this list will continue to change. The more detail and the more accurate the profile, the better the matches.
While COS products have been around a long time, Pivot is
still in its early stages of development. We have noted that it is not
perfect yet but are hoping that feedback from UVM users regarding its
value, user-friendliness and suggestions for improvement may give us a
chance to influence it for the better. Pivot also offers
excellent university liaison support and user guides.
If you previously registered for the COS Funding Opportunities Database Workbench you should be able to use that login information to access Pivot. If you don't remember or you are not sure, please contact Hilda Alajajian who will verify whether or not you already have an account and/or can also send a link to reset your login information. Many UVM users already have accounts and may not realize it. This process will avoid creating duplicate accounts.
Any UVM faculty, staff or student may establish a Pivot Account. A Pivot account allows the user to search, track and share funding opportunities and to search the Expertise database for collaborators. UVM faculty and researchers, in addition will have profiles in the system which they may update once they have established a Pivot account, know their login and can then access this profile to update it.
We recommend that you first contact Hilda.Alajajian@uvm.edu (or 656-1322) to quickly establish whether or not you already have an account with Pivot. If you have never created an account for COS follow these instructions:
- Open a web browser and go to the Pivot homepage (http://pivot.cos.com)
- Click “Log in” in the upper right corner.
- Click on the “Login help” link in the orange box.
- Choose “Create your Pivot account”.
- Fill out all fields in the following screen.
- You must use your UVM email address. It becomes your Pivot username.
- Provide a password.
- Click “Create my account” button.
- Go to your email account, open the confirming email and click the “Confirm” link.
- If you have questions or encountered problems while registering, please contact Hilda Alajajian at 656-1322 or Hilda.Alajajian@uvm.edu ,
Claiming Your Profile
All scholars at UVM should have a profiles in Pivot, and will
want to connect that profile to their account, or “claim" their
profile. People who do not conduct scholarly projects or
produce scholarly works (most staff and students) do not have
profiles. Claiming a scholar's profile allows the scholar to
see the Advisor on his/her home page for funding suggestions and also
allows the scholar to update his/her profile. When logging in, if a
scholar's name in the upper right is hyperlinked, their profile has
already been claimed and it may be updated by following the
If the name is not hyperlinked and there is an option to “Claim Profile” it has not been claimed and the following steps should be taken:
- Click hyperlinked “Claim Profile” to search for your profile
- Click on the “This is me” button if you see your profile listed
- Pivot will display the email address that is on file for your profile. If the email displayed is still valid, you simply select it. If you no longer have access to the email address, there is an option to notify Pivot of this change and you will fill out a form requesting “Manual Verification” which will be reviewed and validated. You will be able to complete information about your current affiliation including Institution, School, Department and contact information.
We have noted for some people with established accounts that
they are not able to "claim their profile" right away after logging
in. If this is the case, you can either wait a week for the
editors to verify that there is only one account and migrate your
profile to that account or you can contact Hilda.Alajajian@uvm.edu to
check with the vendor on your account/profile status.
Updating Your Profile
Scholars who need pertinent information added to or changed
in their profiles, can make certain updates or additions on
their own. Keeping profiles up-to-date enhances the quality of matches
made by the Pivot Advisor. You can attach certain types of files that
Pivot will index and make searchable until the information is confirmed
and added to your profile. Updates take approximately 2 weeks before
information is published.
1. Navigate to your claimed profile in the Profiles area of Pivot or by clicking on your name in the upper right of the homepage screen.
2. Click on the “Update your profile” link in the upper right area of your profile page
3. You are taken outside Pivot to an area called Scholar Feedback
Scholar Feedback allows you to provide updates to the Pivot editors, who will then review the information and post it to your Pivot profile. You can update:
- Email adddress(es)
- Webpages with publications
- Affiliations (both past and present)
- Upload a CV or publications list in .pdf, .doc., or .txt format. Documents submitted to your profile are indexed and searchable (as are webpages)
- Expertise and Other Info (this is an open text box that allows you to provide additional feedback that you cannot submit through the above fields, such as research interests)
Last modified May 11 2012 03:54 PM