Sponsored Project Administration - SPA
Searchable Databases - Pivot Funding & Collaboration Tool
- About Pivot at UVM
- Register for a Pivot User Account
- Use Pivot to Find Funding
- Use Pivot to Find Collaborators (coming soon)
- Pivot Profiles for UVM Faculty
has recently obtained a trial subscription to Pivot. Pivot is a web-based product that
brings together a funding database known as Community of Science (COS),
and a scholar expertise database, COS Scholar Universe populated with
over 3 million scholar profiles including UVM faculty and scholars
worldwide. These profiles are pre-populated with verified
affiliation and publication information. Pivot matches profiles
with suggested funding opportunities and with potential collaborators
at UVM and at other institutions. As the researcher’s profile
information changes and the funding opportunities are updated, this
list will continue to change. The more detail and the more accurate the
profile, the better the matches.
While COS products have been around a long time, Pivot is still in its early stages of development. We have noted that it is not perfect yet but are hoping that feedback from UVM users regarding its value, user-friendliness and suggestions for improvement may give us a chance to influence it for the better. Pivot also offers excellent university liaison support and user guides.
Please contact Hilda Alajajian who will verify whether or not you already have an account and/or can also send a link to reset your login information. Many UVM users already have accounts and may not realize it. This process will avoid creating duplicate accounts.
Any UVM faculty, staff or student may establish a Pivot Account. A Pivot account allows the user to search, track and share funding opportunities and to search the Expertise database for collaborators. UVM faculty and researchers, in addition will have profiles in the system which they may update once they have established a Pivot account, know their login and can then access this profile to update it.
We recommend that you first contact Hilda Alajajian or at 802-656-1322, to quickly establish whether or not you already have an account with Pivot. If you have never created an account for COS follow these instructions:
- Open a web browser and go to the Pivot homepage and Login to Pivot
- Click “Log in” in the upper right corner.
- Click on the “Login help” link in the orange box.
- Choose “Create your Pivot account”.
- Fill out all fields in the following screen.
- You must use your UVM email address. It becomes your Pivot username.
- Provide a password.
- Click “Create my account” button.
- Go to your email account, open the confirming email and click the “Confirm” link.
- If you have questions or encountered problems while registering, please contact Hilda Alajajian or at 802-656-1322.
Pivot is an online resource which combines a funding database (formerly Community of Science) with a database of scholar profiles (formerly COS Scholar Universe).
While the look of Pivot is new, the information and functionality of the funding database remains the same as the former Community of Science database.
Pivot continues to identify funding information related to research, collaborative activities, travel, curriculum development, conferences, fellowships, post-doctoral positions, equipment acquisition, and operating or capital expenses, among others.
It is updated daily and can be searched by sponsor, amount, dead line, eligibility of applicant, funding type, and area of interest.
Sources of this information include
- federal and regional governments
- professional societies
Advanced Search page
- To search for funding opportunities, click on the "Funding Tab" and scroll down the page and click on the "Advanced Search" link.
- The screen is split into two sections.
- The top half is for selecting search criteria you want to include.
- The bottom half is for any selecting criteria you would like to exclude from the search.
- You can make choices in either or both.
The All Fields text boxes
These may be used to search the Abstract, Title or Sponsor fields with a word or phrase of free text.
- To make keyword selections click on the Keyword category and then select "browse".
- To open major subject categories and see the narrower topics, select the plus sign [+].
- By selecting the plus sign you open a category that leads to more keywords.
- Select the term and it will be added to your search query.
- The action of being added to the search query takes a few seconds after clicking on the term, so pause to see the screen "blink" before selecting the next term.
- You may select terms out of more than one major subject category.
- If you can't find a particular word, use the free "search" text box to search for it.
- If it's in the hierarchy it will show you where and you will be able to select it.
- Once you have made all your selections, close the Keyword browser box.
- If you decide you wish to delete a particular term you may do this by unchecking the box next to the keyword you wish to delete.
- Lastly, you will want to uncheck the "Explode" box which would automatically include any keywords listed in the hierarchy underneath your chosen keywords.
- Detailed Instructions coming soon...
Claiming Your Profile
- All scholars at UVM should have a profiles in Pivot, and will want to connect that profile to their account, or “claim" their profile.
- People who do not conduct scholarly projects or produce scholarly works (most staff and students) do not have profiles.
- Claiming a scholar's profile allows the scholar to see the Advisor on his/her home page for funding suggestions and also allows the scholar to update his/her profile.
- When logging in, if a scholar's name in the upper right is hyperlinked, their profile has already been claimed and it may be updated by following the instructions below.
- If the name is not hyperlinked and there is an option to “Claim Profile” it has not been claimed and the following steps should be taken:
- Click hyperlinked “Claim Profile” to search for your profile
- Click on the “This is me” button if you see your profile listed
- Pivot will display the email address that is on file for your profile. If the email displayed is still valid, you simply select it. If you no longer have access to the email address, there is an option to notify Pivot of this change and you will fill out a form requesting “Manual Verification” which will be reviewed and validated. You will be able to complete information about your current affiliation including Institution, School, Department and contact information.
We have noted for some people with established accounts that
they are not able to "claim their profile" right away after
in. If this is the case, you can either wait a week for the
editors to verify that there is only one account and migrate your
profile to that account or you can contact Hilda Alajajian or at 802-656-1322 to
check with the vendor on your account/profile status.
Updating Your Profile
- Scholars who need pertinent information added to or changed in their profiles, can make certain updates or additions on their own.
- Keeping profiles up-to-date enhances the quality of matches made by the Pivot Advisor.
- You can attach certain types of files that Pivot will index and make searchable until the information is confirmed and added to your profile.
- Updates take approximately 2 weeks before information is published.
2. Click on the “Update your profile” link in the upper right area of your profile page
3. You are taken outside Pivot to an area called Scholar Feedback
Scholar Feedback allows you to provide updates to the Pivot
who will then review the information and post it to your Pivot
You can update:
- Email adddress(es)
- Webpages with publications
- Affiliations (both past and present)
- Upload a CV or publications list in .pdf, .doc., or .txt format. Documents submitted to your profile are indexed and searchable (as are webpages)
- Expertise and Other Info (this is an open text box that allows you to provide additional feedback that you cannot submit through the above fields, such as research interests)
Last modified March 07 2013 02:43 PM