Real Food Calculator
University Dining Services began tracking local food in 2005. In 2009, we began tracking Real Food using the the Real Food Calculator developed by the Real Food Challenge. In January 2012, the Real Food Challenge recognized University Dining Services at UVM as 2011’s Real Food Pioneer for our work piloting the Real Food Calculator.
Tracking Our Progress
Click the links to see a graphic representation of our progress each semester.
- Fall 2009 - 10.07% (no graphics available)
- Spring 2010 - 10.76% (no graphics available)
- Fall 2010 - 10.55%
- Spring 2011 - 11.00%
- Fall 2011 - 11.18%
- Spring 2012 - 9.00%
- Summer 2012 - 11.22%* Percentages | Categories | Percentages by Category
- Fall 2012 (data pending)**
- Spring 2013 (data pending)
- Summer 2013 (data pending)
* In Summer 2012 we calculated our Real Food percentage over the summer for the first time and found our highest percentage yet. We attribute this primarily to the higher availability of local produce during the summer months.
** The Fall 2012-Summer 2013 Real Food percentages are not fully calculated at this point. Despite some significant increases in Real Foods (e.g. a new contract with Vermont Highland Cattle Company and the influx of new Fair Trade beverages since the termination of the Coca Cola contract) we do not expect our Real Food percentage to increase significantly due to stricter criteria adopted by the Real Food Challenge in August of 2012.
Last modified September 04 2013 11:41 AM