University of Vermont

Cultivating Healthy Communities

Disaster & Emergency Education

How to Report Farm Flood Damage (June 2011)

Vermont Emergency Management (VEM) requests that farmers of all types report damage to all parts of their property in the following manner so that impact info can be included in their justifications for emergency declarations that are sent to the Governor and then to the President:

Damage to house or other dwelling in which they live:

This report should be made by calling 211 and completing a damage assessment report with the operator. The operator will then forward this information to VEM.

Damage to any other part of their property or business, including but not limited to barns, milking parlors, crops, fields, equipment, etc.:

This information should be fed by farmers through organizations to which they belong, and those organizations should send summary compiled information to the Agency of Agriculture through the e-mail address. Any information reported to the emergency mailbox for this flooding event should ID the subject line as "2011 spring flood event". This e-mail box is for data collection only – it is not being monitored or responses being prepared.

The Agency of Agriculture will then supply that information directly to VEM without going through 211 -- 211 will not be taking this information. Individual producers could also send information directly to that mailbox.

The Agency of Agriculture is also being asked by VEM to enter all feedback they receive from individual farmers. It is for this reason as well that having summarized reports from organizations rather than individual farmer reports is ideal and highlights the importance of having all information come through this emergency reporting mailbox.

If farmers are in need of help or assistance, they should request that first through their town's first response units (town emergency management director, fire department, police, etc.). If the town is not able to meet their needs, the town official has the option of requesting help from the state/VEM. If VEM receives a request that falls under the scope of VAAFM portion of the state emergency operations plan, then they will contact the Agency of Agriculture and the Agency will be involved from that point forward.

Source: Diane Bothfeld, Vermont Agency of Agriculture

Last modified June 28 2013 01:41 PM