Redstone was a popular building material in Burlington in the 1800’s not only for its remarkable appearance and durability, but also because it was readily available at a small quarry within the city limits. In 1958 the university purchased the three acre Redstone Quarry to use primarily for geology classes. Redstone Quarry, however, is not just a place to observe rocks; it is a small yet diverse ecosystem. Once severely altered by people this quarry has been left untrammeled to return to a somewhat natural state. While there are no developed trails here, visitors may take short walks along the wetland area at the base of the quarry cliff face. The area is noted for its diversity of birds and amphibians, as well as its showy wildflower displays.
From Main Street in Burlington head south on Route 7 (South Willard Street). After 1.2 miles turn left onto Hoover Street. The quarry is at the end of Hoover Street with parking available in a small lot to the right.