East Woods was purchased in 1949, with the help of several private donors who recognized the potential educational value of these woods and its close proximity to the UVM campus. Students are able to study plants and animals of a mature northern forest in this relatively undisturbed, 40-acre, mixed hardwood and conifer forest.
From Main Street in Burlington take Spear Street south for 1.1 miles. At the traffic light turn right onto Swift Street. Look for the East Woods sign 0.2 miles on the right. Cars can be parked here at the small pull-off area. The trail system begins just behind the sign.