Dr. Rycki Maltby's background is in public health nursing. She has taught in Canada, Australia, South Korea, and Malaysia; and has been at UVM since January 2000. Her research, publications, and conference presentations reflect community-based issues, with current projects of developing cultural immersion experiences with international partners and cultural competency across nursing programs with co-researcher Dr. Sarah Abrams. Dr. Maltby is a Co-Editor for the International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship.
Research and/or Creative Works
- Maltby, H. J., Lund, K., & de Vries, J. (2015). Study abroad locations and the impact on students’ cultural awareness: Does place matter? International Qualitative Health Research conference in Toronto, Canada, Oct.
- Maltby, H. J. (2015). Does the location of a study abroad trip impact students’ cultural awareness? Abstract accepted for 28th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Western University/Iota Omicron Chapter, London, Ontario, Canada (May 1st).
- Maltby, H. J. (2015). Does the location of a study abroad trip impact students’ cultural awareness? 28th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Western University/Iota Omicron Chapter, London, Ontario (May).
- Bird, C., Maltby, H. J., Beatson, J., & Tinkler, B. (2013). Culturally congruent 4th grade puberty education for Somali-Bantu students. American Public Health Association conference, Nov. 2013, Boston MA.
- Petras, J., Shah, L., & Maltby, H. (2013). A pilot exploration of life with leprosy in Bangladesh. Oral: Kappa Tau Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Research Night, April 2013; Poster: (a) University of Vermont, Student Research Conference, April 2013; (b) Annual Zeigler Research Forum, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Vermont, May 2013.
- Maltby, H. J. & Abrams, S. E. (2012). Short term study abroad experiences: Coping with cognitive dissonance. 25th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Western University and Iota Omicron Chapter, London, Ontario; APHA, San Francisco, CA, Oct.
- Abrams, S. E. & Maltby, H. J. (2012). Transformative events while studying public health nursing in a developing nation. APHA, San Francisco, CA, Oct.
Maltby, H. J. (2016). Ethical photography while on study abroad. In press: Nurse Educator
Maltby, H. J., de Vries-Erich, J. M., & Lund, K. D. (2016). Being the stranger: Comparing study abroad experiences of nursing students in low and high income countries through hermeneutical phenomenology. Nurse Education Today, 40(2016), 114-119. DOI information: 10.1016/j.nedt.2016.06.025
Charles, L., Maltby, H. J., Abrams, S. E., Shea, J., Brand, G., & Nicol, P. (2014). Expanding Worldview: Australian Nursing Students’ Experience of Cultural Immersion in India. Contemporary Nurse, 48(1), http://www.contemporarynurse.com/archives/vol/48/issue/1/article/5488/expanding-worldview-australian-nursing-students%E2%80%99.
Maltby, H. J. (2017). Service Learning. In M. J. Bradshaw & A. J. Lowenstein (Eds.), Innovative teaching strategies in nursing and related health professions (7th ed), pp. 381-393. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
Carney, J. K., Maltby, H. J., Mackin, K. & Maksym, M. E. (2011). Community-Academic Partnerships: How Can Communities Benefit? American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 41(4s3), s206-s213.
Maltby, H. J. & Abrams, S. A. (2009). Seeing with new eyes: The meaning of an immersion experience in Bangladesh for undergraduate senior nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 6(1), Article 33. http://www.bepress.com/ijnes/vol6/iss1/art33/
Associations and Affiliations
- Association of Community Health Nurse Educators
- American Public Health Association, Member Public Health Nursing; International Health
- Australian College of Nurses, Fellow
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Transcultural Nursing Society
- Vermont State Nurses Association, American Nurses Association
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
- Cultural competency across nursing programs
- Community-based issues
- Development of cultural immersion model
- Ph.D., Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, W. Australia
- MScN, Nursing Education, University of Western Ontario
- BScN., Nursing, University of Windsor (Ontario)
- B.A., Psychology, University of Windsor (Ontario)
- (802) 656-8305
208 Rowell Building
- PRNU 241 - Public Health Nursing
- HLTH 105 - Cultural Health Care (undergraduate and RN-BS)
- GRNU 337/338 - The Science of Nursing: Public Health Nursing
- PH 311 – Global Public Health