Funding Opportunities & Awards
Faculty Research Support Awards (FRSA)
Deadline: January 31, 4:30 p.m.
Each year the College of Arts and Sciences provides a number of Faculty Research Support Awards. One or more of these awards may be designated as the Joan Smith Faculty Research Support Award, which seeks to honor the memory of former College of Arts and Sciences Dean Joan Smith, and is made possible partially through the proceeds of an endowment established by her family, colleagues and friends. (criterion: research that addresses, illuminates, or seeks to ameliorate a pressing issue of social injustice.) The maximum amount per award is $7,000; the total award pool will be $25,000. The objectives, eligibility requirements, selection criteria and application guidelines are summarized below.
- Application in Word Format
- Award funds are available starting in the spring of the award year through the following two fiscal years. Funds will expire June 30th two years after the award notification, unless given an extension.
The College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Research Support Awards are designed to:
- provide support for research and creative/performance projects of the highest merit
- provide funding during the initial phase of a new research project
- provide funding for transition projects of faculty who are expanding their areas of research
- provide support that is essential for a research creative/performance project to be undertaken or continued
- provide support for innovative and interdisciplinary projects
Awards are not made to support: curriculum development, faculty education or training, service projects, or development of commercial products
Awards do not fund summer salary stipends, course releases, or expenses for meals.
To be considered eligible, projects must address one of the objectives listed above and be submitted by full-time faculty [minimum of 0.75 FTE and 9 months] who:
- will have completed their terminal degree by date of application
- have their primary appointment in the College of Arts and Sciences
- are not currently members of the Academic Planning and Budget Committee
- are not on notice of non-retention for the next academic year
- will be on the faculty during the period of the award
Faculty may not concurrently apply for a Faculty Research Support Award and a Seed Grant Award or have received a College Small Grant Award the previous semester.
Proposals are reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the project being proposed
- Applicant's achievement record
- Clarity of the proposal
- Relationship of the proposed project to the applicant's long-term research agenda
- Feasibility of the proposed project in terms of resources
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE
Recipients of this award are expected to submit a final report to the Dean's Office on their project by September 30 of the academic year after the award was utilized. Notice on how to complete this report will be sent to necessary faculty prior to the deadline. Recipients may contact email@example.com to complete their report earlier. Failure to file a final report will make the recipient ineligible for future awards funding.
Last modified January 31 2018 03:52 PM