- Associate Professor
- Arel, Barbara Ph.D.
- Beaudoin, Cathy A. Ph.D.
- Bonifield, Carolyn M Ph.D.
- Cats-Baril, William L. Ph.D.
- Dempsey, Stephen J. Ph.D.
- Hughes, Susan B. Ph.D.
- Jones, David A. Ph.D.
- Lucas, Marilyn T. Ph.D.
- Monsen, Erik Ph.D
- Novak, David Ph.D.
- Parke, E. Lauck Ph.D.
- Tomas III, Michael J. Ph.D.
- Vanden Bergh, Richard G. Ph.D.
- Zhang, Chun Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Lecturer/Sr Lecturer
- Lecturer (Part Time)
- Faculty Emeritus
Erik Monsen, Ph.D Associate Professor, Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship
Contact InformationOffice: 320 Kalkin
Phone: (802) 656-8994
Office Hours: By Appointment
Erik Monsen joined the University of Vermont's School of Business Administration in August 2014 as an Associate Professor and the Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship. His career has crossed disciplinary (engineering, management, economics) and geographic (US, Germany, UK) boundaries on his journey from designing better aircraft to designing better entrepreneurial organizations. Building on personal experiences as an aerospace engineer and business consultant in American and European aerospace organizations, his mission is to aid technology and research organizations, both public and private, to become more entrepreneurial and create new value for society.
Before coming to UVM, Erik was a Senior Lecturer and Director of Research in the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship at the University of Strathclyde Business School in Glasgow, Scotland, from 2010 to 2014 and a Senior Research Fellow in the Entrepreneurship, Growth, and Public Policy Group at the Max Planck Institute of Economics in Jena, Germany, from 2005 to 2010. Erik earned his Ph.D. in Organization Management at the University of Colorado at Boulder (2005), where he also earned an M.B.A. in Entrepreneurship and Technology Management (2001). Before researching entrepreneurship, he was an aerospace engineering researcher (B.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1991; M.S., Stanford University, 1992) at the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Braunschweig, Germany, from 1994 to 1999.
Instead of designing better aircraft, Erik now researches how to design better entrepreneurial organizations from the employee perspective. His current research examines how and why employees act entrepreneurially (or not!), and in particular, how and why scientists and engineers choose to commercialize their research (or not!). His research, which pushes the boundaries of existing theories regarding organizational strategy and employee decision making, has been published in Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Small Business Economics, Journal of Economic Psychology and the Zeitschrift für betriebswirtschaftliche Forschung. He also serves on editorial review boards for Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice and the Journal of Business Venturing, and is an associate editor for the Small Business Economics Journal.
Erik has taught courses in entrepreneurship, technology commercialization and strategic management at the University of Strathclyde (Scotland), the University of Jena (Germany), the Leipzig Graduate School of Management (Germany), the International Graduate Business School Zagreb (Croatia), and the University of Colorado at Boulder (USA). Here at UVM, he teaches courses on new business planning and technology commercialization at the undergraduate and MBA levels.
Courses Currently Taught by Erik Monsen:
- BSAD 138 - Entrepreneurship: Bus Planning SP 2015
- Section A, V209 Votey 10:00-11:15 TR - ON-LINE SYLLABUS
- BSAD 196 - Special Topics SP 2015
- Technology, Entrepreneurship and Commercialization - Section A, 200 Perkins 1:00-2:15 TR - ON-LINE SYLLABUS
- BSAD 304 - 4.6 - Technology Entrepreneurship and Commercialization SP 2015
- Section A, 110 Kalkin -
Journal Article, Academic Journal
- Monsen, E.; Schjoedt, L.; Pearson, A.; Barnett, T.; Chrisman, J. J. - "New Venture and Family Business Teams: Understanding Team Formation, Composition, Behaviors and Performance" - Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice - 2013 - v. 37, no. 1, pp. 1-15
- Monsen, E.; Mahagaonkar, P.; Dienes, C. - "Entrepreneurship in India: The Question of Occupational Transition" - Small Business Economics - 2012 - v. 39, no. 2, pp. 359-382
- Monsen, E.; Urbig, D. - "The structure of optimism: "Controllability affects the extent to which efficacy beliefs shape outcome expectancies"" - Journal of Economic Psychology - 2012 - v. 33, no. (4), pp. 854-867
- Monsen, E.; Frederick, H. - "New Zealand???s Perfect Storm of Entrepreneurship and Economic Development" - Small Business Economics - 2011 - v. 37, no. 2, pp. 187-204
- Monsen, E.; Wales, W.; McKelvie, A. - "The Organizational Pervasiveness of Entrepreneurial Orientation" - Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice - 2011 - v. 35, no. 5, pp. 895-923
- Monsen, E.; Patzelt, H.; Saxton, T. - "Beyond Simple Utility: Incentive Design and Tradeoffs for Corporate Employee-Entrepreneurs" - Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice - 2010 - v. 34, no. 1, pp. 105-130
- Monsen, E.; Peters, A. A. - "Editorial (Special Issue: Corporate Entrepreneurship)" - International Journal of Entrepreneurial Venturing, - 2010 - v. 2, no. 2, pp. 107-113
- Monsen, E.; Boss, R. W. - "The Impact of Strategic Entrepreneurship inside the Organization: Examining Job Stress and Employee Retention." - Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice - 2009 - v. 33, no. 1, pp. 71-104
- Monsen, E.; Schweizer, L.; Patzelt, H. - "Anreize und Motivation f??r unternehmerisches Handeln in etablierten Firmen [Incentives and Motivation for Entrepreneurial Action in Established Firms]" - Zeitschrift f??r betriebswirtschaftliche Forschung - 2008 - v. 60, no. 11, pp. 671-692
- Monsen, E.; Koberg, C. S.; Boss, R. W.; Goodman, E. A.; Boss, A. D. - "Empirical Evidence of Organizational Citizenship Behavior from the Health Care Industry" - International Journal of Public Administration - 2005 - v. 28, no. 5/6, pp. 417-436
- Monsen, E.; Wales, W.; Marino, L.; Martin, J. - "Entrepreneurial Orientation in Thought, Word, and Deed: Reframing the Model and Advancing the Conversation" - Annual Meeting, Entrepreneurship Division - 2012
- Monsen, E.; Saxton, T.; Patzelt, H. - "Motivation and Participation in Corporate Entrepreneurship: The Moderating Effects of Risk, Effort, and Reward" - 2007 - pp. 683-697
Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book-New
- Monsen, E.; Dicke, K.; Cantner, U.; Ruffert, M. - "Das Regionale Ereignis ???Unternehmensgr??ndung??? ??? Auch in Deutschland? [The Regional Event ???Entrepreneurship??? ??? Also in Germany?]" - Friedrich-Schiller-Universit??t Jena & IKS Garamond - 2012 ,
- Monsen, E.; Carsrud, A.; Br??nnback, M. - "Perceptions of Efficacy, Control and Risk: A Theory of Mixed Control" - Springer - 2009 - pp. 259-281 ,
- Monsen, E.; Barrett, R.; Mayson, S.; Audretsch, D. B. - "Entrepreneurship Capital: A Regional, Organizational, Team and Individual Phenomenon" - Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd - 2008 ,
- Monsen, E. - "Employees Do Matter: Autonomy, Teamwork and Corporate Entrepreneurial Culture" - Dissertation Abstracts International - 2005 ,