- Associate Professor
- Arel, Barbara Ph.D.
- Beaudoin, Cathy A. Ph.D.
- Bonifield, Carolyn M Ph.D.
- Cats-Baril, William L. Ph.D.
- Dempsey, Stephen J. Ph.D.
- Gove, Steven F Ph.D.
- Hughes, Susan B. Ph.D.
- Jones, David A. Ph.D.
- Lucas, Marilyn T. Ph.D.
- Monsen, Erik Ph.D
- Novak, David Ph.D.
- Parke, E. Lauck Ph.D.
- Prevost, Andrew
- Tomas III, Michael J. Ph.D.
- Vanden Bergh, Richard G. Ph.D.
- Zhang, Chun Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Lecturer/Sr Lecturer
- Lecturer (Part Time)
- Faculty Emeritus
David Novak, Ph.D. Associate Professor
Contact InformationOffice: 310 Kalkin
Phone: (802) 656-4043
Office Hours: Tues, Thurs 4:00 - 5:00pm or by appointment or by appointment
Dr. Novak is an Associate Professor in the School of Business at the University of Vermont. His research interests center on the application of decision sciences / operations research based solution methodologies to solve a variety of real-world problems. Much of his recent work has focused on the design and use of modeling approaches and performance measures that address complex characteristics of systems such as the spatial structure of transportation and communications networks and relationships between nodes, links, and flows within those systems. He is particularly interested in the overlap between operations research, spatial geography, policy / planning, and decision support systems. Dr. Novak is an Associate Faculty member at the University of Vermont's Transportation Research Center (TRC) and is involved with the Complex Systems Center (CSC) at UVM. He is also a member of the Center for Supply Networks (CaSN) at Arizona State University.
His teaching interests are fairly diverse and include topics related to decision analysis and decision support, analytics and applied statistics, and the use of information technology / information systems to improve decision making. Dr. Novak teaches BSAD 30, an introductory decision analysis course, BSAD 141, an introductory management information systems course and BSAD 146, an elective course focused on telecommunications networking.
Dr. Novak earned a Ph.D. in Management Science and Information Technology from Virginia Tech in 2001 and an M.S. in Agriculture and Applied Economics from Virginia Tech in 1994. After completing the Master's degree, he spent about 4 years working for an economic and financial consulting firm in the Washington, DC area. He has also worked as an analyst in the research and development branch of a telecommunications firm and has worked in the transportation engineering group for a transportation research center at a large public university. He has published in journals such as the European Journal of Operational Research, Decision Support Systems, Computers and Operations Research, Networks and Spatial Economics, Transportation Research Part A, and the Journal of Transport Geography.
Link to Dr. Novak's CV .
Please feel free to visit Dave's personal Web site .
Link to spring 2015 courses .
Courses Currently Taught by David Novak:
- BSAD 030 - Decision Analysis SP 2015
- Section A, 002 Kalkin 10:00-11:15 TR
- Section B, 002 Kalkin 11:30-12:45 TR
- Section C, 002 Kalkin 13:00-14:15 TR
Journal Article, Academic Journal
- Novak, D.; Sullivan, J. L. - (Forthcoming) "A Link-Focused Methodology for Evaluating Accessibility to Emergency Services" (Refereed) - Decision Support Systems (DSS), Elsevier - 2014 - v. 57, [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Sullivan, J.; Dowds, J.; Novak, D.; Scott, D. - (Forthcoming) "Strategic Location of Satellite Salt Facilities for Roadway Snow and Ice Control" (Refereed) - 2014 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; Sullivan, J. L.; Scott, D. M. - "A Network-based Approach for Evaluating and Ranking Transportation Roadway Projects" (Refereed) - Applied Geography, Elsevier - 2012 - v. 34, no. May 2012, pp. 498-506 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; zz-Hodgdon, C. D.; Aultman-Hall, L. - "Nationwide Freight Generation Models: A Spatial Regression Approach" (Refereed) - Networks and Spatial Economics - 2011 - v. 11, no. 1, pp. 23-42 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- zz-Kraushaar, J. M.; Novak, D. - "Examining the Affects of Student Multitasking with Laptops During the Lecture" (Refereed) - Journal of Information Systems Education - 2010 - v. 21, no. 2, pp. 241-251 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Sullivan, J. L.; Novak, D.; Aultman-Hall, L.; Scott, D. M. - "Identifying Critical Road Segments and Measuring System-Wide Robustness in Transportation Networks with Isolating Links: A Link-Based Capacity-Reduction Approach" (Refereed) - Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice - 2010 - v. 44, no. 5, pp. 323-336 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D. - "Internet Access and Capacity Planning: Quantifying Relationships between Usage, Capacity, and Blocking" (Refereed) - Telecommunications Policy - 2010 - v. 34, no. 5-6, pp. 309-322 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Sullivan, J. L.; Aultman-Hall, L.; Novak, D. - "A Review of Current Practice in Network Disruption Analysis and an Assessment of the Ability to Account for Isolating Links in Transportation Networks" (Refereed) - Transportation Letters: The International Journal of Transportation Research /J. Ross Publishing - 2009 - v. 1, no. 4, pp. 271-280 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D. - "Managing Bandwidth Allocations Between Competing Recreational and Non-Recreational Traffic on Campus Networks" (Refereed) - Decision Support Systems - 2008 - v. 45, no. 2, pp. 338-353 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Nair, S.; Novak, D. - "A Traffic Shaping Model for Optimizing Network Operations" (Refereed) - European Journal of Operational Research - 2007 - v. 180, no. 3, pp. 1358-1380 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Scott, D.; Novak, D.; Aultman-Hall, L.; Guo, F. - "Network Robustness Index: A New Method For Identifying Critical Links and Evaluating the Performance of Transportation Networks" (Refereed) - Journal of Transport Geography - 2006 - v. 14, no. 3, pp. 215-227 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; Ragsdale, C. - "A Decision Support Methodology for Stochastic Multi-Criteria Linear Programming Using Spreadsheets" (Refereed) - Decision Support Systems - 2003 - v. 36, no. 1, pp. 99-116 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; Rowland, D.; DaSilva, L. - "Modeling Dialup Internet Access: An Examination of User-to-Modem Ratios, Blocking Probability, and Capacity Planning in a Modem Pool" (Refereed) - Computers & Operations Research - 2003 - v. 30, no. 13, pp. 1959-1976 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- zz-Kraushaar, J. M.; Chittenden, T.; Novak, D. - "A Descriptive Study of Perceived and Actual Tablet PC Use by Undergraduate Students in a Traditional Lecture-based Graphical Modeling Class" (Refereed) - The Impact of Tablet PCs and Pen-based Technology on Education, Purdue University Press - 2008 - v. 2008, pp. 81-88 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- zz-Kraushaar, J. M.; Chittenden, T.; Novak, D.; Chittenden, N. B. - "A Preliminary Profile of Student Tablet Use During the Lecture" - 2007 EDUCAUSE Southeast Regional Conference - 2007 - v. Web Page, [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; Kitchin, P. - "An Automated Statistical Quality Control Process for Internet Service Providers" - Annual Meeting of the Southeast Decision Sciences Institute (SEDSI) - 2004 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; Chang, S. J.; Nair, S. K. - "Setting Optimal Bandwidth Controls for Peer-to-Peer Traffic on Campus Networks" (Refereed) - Annual Meeting of the Northeast Decision Sciences Institute (NEDSI) - 2003
- Novak, D.; Rakes, T. - "A Characterization of Online Modem Pool Traffic" (Refereed) - National Decision Sciences Institute meeting - 2001
- Novak, D.; DaSilva, L.; Rowland, D. - "Modem Pool Simulation and Performance Analysis" (Refereed) - Society for Computer Simulation Symposium for Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems (SPECTS) - 2000 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D. - "A Methodology for Solving Stochastic Programming Problems Using Microsoft's Excel" - Annual Meeting of the Southeast Institute for Ops. Res. & the Mgmt Sciences (INFORMS) - 1999 - pp. First Place in the Student Paper Competition
- Sullivan, J.; Novak, D.; Aultman-Hall, L. - (Forthcoming) "Identifying Network Representation Issues with the Network Trip Robustness" (Refereed) - Transportation Research Board - 2012 - no. TRC Report #12-004, pp. 18 pages [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Novak, D.; Sullivan, J.; Aultman-Hall, L. - (Forthcoming) "Advanced Development and Calibration of the Network Robustness Index to Identify Critical Road Network Links" (Refereed) - University of Vermont Transportation Research Center (TRC) - 2010 - no. TRC Report #10-019, [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Sullivan, J.; Aultman-Hall, L.; Novak, D. - (Forthcoming) "Application of the Network Robustness Index to Identifying Critical Road-Network Links in Chittenden County, Vermont " (Refereed) - Transportation Research Center - 2010 - v. TRC#10-009, pp. 21 pages [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Dowds, J.; Sullivan, J.; Scott, D.; Novak, D. - "Optimization of Snow Removal in Vermont" (Refereed) - UVM Transportation Research Center, RAC Project Report - 2013 - pp. 37 [Show/Hide Abstract]
Material Regarding New Courses/Curricula
- zz-Kraushaar, J. M.; Novak, D.; Chittenden, T. - "Curriculum Redesign of Junior/Senior Course: Management Information Systems" - School of Business Administration - 2006 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]