Awards for the Natural and Social Sciences
College of Arts and Sciences Research and Travel Awards
for the Natural and Social Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences Research Awards for the Natural and Social Sciences are designed to provide development support for faculty in the natural and social sciences akin to that provided to faculty in the humanities and fine arts by the Lattie Coor Humanities Endowment. Awards are available to support: 1) faculty research, and 2) international travel
All full-time faculty [minimum of 0.75 FTE and 9 months] in the Natural and Social Sciences are eligible to receive support.
1. Research Awards for the Natural and Social Sciences (RANSS)
Deadlines: November 1 and April 1
Approximately $20,000 is available each year to provide support and enhancement of the research, subventions, and other scholarly activities of faculty in the Natural and Social Sciences. Amounts up to $2500 can be obtained from this source. Application is by proposal and applications will be reviewed once per semester by a committee, appointed by the Dean, consisting of Natural and Social Sciences faculty plus the Associate Dean.
- Proposals must identify how the project will enhance the applicant's research and scholarly activity.
- Project summaries should provide clear and explicit information on the project's importance, methodology and expected outcome, taking into account an audience of non-specialists
- Budgets should be realistic, detailed, and make the most of the funding available.
- Applicants are expected to have already utilized or otherwise committed available professional development funds before applying for a research award. PDFs may be used for expenses in the proposed project not covered by the award.
- In cases where there are more strong applications than funds available, priority will be given to applications from junior faculty.
- Awards may NOT be used for attendance at meetings, conferences or symposia, nor may they be used for the purchase of computer hardware.
- Expenses for meals are NOT reimbursable by award funds.
- Awards may NOT be used for summer salary stipends for faculty or release from teaching time during the academic year.
- Recipients of RANSS in the current or preceding academic year are not eligible for this funding again.
- Eligible faculty may not concurrently apply for a RANSS and Coor award.
- Normally, faculty are not eligible to receive Faculty Research Support Awards (FRSA) and RANSS funding in successive years. However, in unusual circumstances, a RANSS application for research support in the year immediately following a FRSA award will be considered if there is compelling evidence that external funding will result from such an award.
- Faculty may concurrently apply for a Faculty Research Support Award and a Research Award in the Natural and Social Sciences, but they will only be able to receive one award during the same academic year.
- Recipients of the awards will be expected to provide a brief written description of what was accomplished with the funds by September 15 of the academic year after the award was utilized. Failure to file a final report will make the recipient ineligible for future Research Awards for the Natural and Social Sciences.
- Timeline for utilization of funds: All awarded funds must be fully expended by the close of the fiscal year in which the award is received. Unexpended balances do not roll forward into the next fiscal year cycle. Faculty who receive awards in the November competition have until June 30 of that academic year to expend all funds; faculty who receive awards in the April competition must expend all funds between July 1 and June 30, the next fiscal year.
- Please complete the application, including supporting documentation in Microsoft Word format, and send it as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. International Travel Funds (Deadline: Any time until funds are expended)
In an effort to help with the costs of travel, approximately $5,000 is allocated each year to provide support for faculty giving papers at Natural and Social Sciences meetings held outside the continental United States. The maximum award amount is $500 per faculty member each academic year. Applications may be made in writing to the Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at any time and will be evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis until the funds are expended. Funds will only be approved if Professional Development Funds provided at the departmental level are not sufficient to cover international travel expenses. Please complete the application and send it as an email attachment to email@example.com.
Faculty who have been awarded Research Awards in the Natural and Social Sciences or Faculty Research Support Awards are eligible to apply for international travel funds during the academic year of their award. However, the total amount from all sources may not exceed $2500 in any academic year.
Last modified August 27 2013 05:47 PM