Faculty Research Support Awards Program
Faculty Research Support Awards (FRSA)
Each year the College of Arts and Sciences provides up to five Faculty Research Support Awards. One of these awards may be designated as the Joan Smith Faculty Research Support Award, which seeks to honor the memory of former College of Arts and Sciences Dean Joan Smith, and is made possible partially through the proceeds of an endowment established by her family, colleagues and friends. The maximum amount per award is $10,000; the total award pool will be $35,000. The objectives, eligibility requirements, selection criteria and application guidelines are summarized below. Awards will be given to research projects of the highest merit that have demonstrated the potential of securing external funding.
- Application in Word Format
- Deadline for applying: November 1, 4:30 p.m.
- Funds are for research support from July 1 until June 30 of the following year.
The College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Research Support Awards are designed to:
- support Assistant Professors and new Associate Professors in furthering their research
- support senior Associate Professors and Professors in furthering their research
- give preference to Assistant Professors and new Associate Professors
- provide funding during the initial phase of a new research project
- provide funding for transition projects of faculty who are expanding their areas of research
- seed an expansion of extramural funding in the college
- provide support that is essential for a research project to be undertaken or continued
Awards are not made to support: curriculum development, faculty education or training, service projects, or development of commercial products
Awards will no longer fund summer salary stipends or expenses for meals.
To be considered eligible, projects must address one of the objectives listed above and be submitted by eligible tenure-track/tenured faculty members who:
- will have completed their terminal degree by date of application
- have their primary appointment in the College of Arts and Sciences
- have not received one of the Faculty Research Support Awards in the last three years
- are not currently members of the Faculty Research Support Awards Committee
- are not on notice of non-retention for the next academic year
- will be on the faculty in the next academic year (Faculty Research Support Awards are made contingent upon the recipient's continued service at UVM throughout the academic year following the award year. If a grantee fails to complete this required term of continued service, full reimbursement to the College of all expended funds is required).
Faculty may concurrently apply for a Faculty Research Support Award along with a Coor Faculty Development Award for the Humanities and Fine Arts or the College of Arts and Sciences Research Awards for the Natural and Social Sciences. However, if granted a FRSA, they become ineligible for receiving either of the other two awards in that same academic year. Normally, faculty are not eligible to receive FRSA and RANSS or Coor Faculty Development Award funding in successive years. However, in unusual circumstances, a FRSA application for research support in the year immediately following a RANSS or Coor Faculty Development Award will be considered if there is compelling evidence that external funding will result from such an award.
Proposals are reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the project being proposed
- Applicant's achievement record
- Clarity of the proposal
- Relationship of the proposed project to the applicant's long-term research agenda
- Feasibility of the proposed project in terms of resources
- Linkage of the project and the award with efforts to secure external funding
In addition to the criteria above, one Faculty Research Award may be provided that must fulfill an additional criterion: the research must address, illuminate or seek to ameliorate a pressing issue of social injustice. This award, the Joan Smith Faculty Research Support Award, seeks to honor the memory of former College of Arts and Sciences Dean Joan Smith, and is made possible partially through the proceeds of an endowment established by her family, colleagues and friends.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE
- Application in Word format
- Deadline for applying: November 1, 4:30 p.m.
Applications for awards must be e-mailed as a single Word document attachment (12 pt. Times New Roman font) file to firstname.lastname@example.org , to arrive no later than 4:30 pm on November 1.
- "Research" is defined broadly here to refer to scholarly products typical of a faculty member's discipline.
- "New" Associate Professor is defined as having been appointed at the rank of Associate Professor or promoted to that rank within the previous two academic years.
- "Senior" Associate Professor is defined as having been appointed at the rank of Associate Professor or promoted to that rank before the previous two academic years.
Last modified July 03 2014 05:34 PM