Presented seminars at: University of California-San Diego,
University of Arizona,
University of Colorado-Denver Medical School,
University of New Hampshire,
New York Academy of Sciences,
National Institutes of Health,
Zhejiang Institute of Experimental Medicine and Hygiene, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China.
Member of Site Visit Team for National Institutes of Health to University of Virginia, Medical School, Liver Biology Program Project Proposal. Member of Site Visit Team for National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute to University of North Carolina, Medical School, Chemical Carcinogenesis Program Project. (1986)
Consultant for Miles Research Institute, Miles Laboratories, Elkhart, Indiana.
Member of Site Visit Team for New England Association of Schools and Colleges for evaluation of Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions. April 29-May 2, 1990.
1. Schaeffer, W. I., P. E. Holbert, and W. W. Umbreit. l963.
Attachment of Thiobacillus thiooxidans
to sulfur crystals. J. Bact., 85: l37.
2. Schaeffer, W. I., and W. W. Umbreit. l963. Phosphotidyl inositol as a wetting agent in sulfur oxidation by Thiobacillus thiooxidans . J. Bact., 85: 492.
3. Schaeffer, W. I. l964. Fixation of carbon dioxide into phosphotidyl inositol formed by Thiobacillus thiooxidans as a sulfur wetting agent. Bact. Proc., p.9l.
4. Gabliks, J., W. Schaeffer, L. Friedman, and C. Wogan. l965.
Effect of aflatoxin Bl on cell cultures.
J. Bact., 90: 720.
5. Schaeffer, W. I., J. Gabliks, and R. Calitis. l966. Interaction
of staphylococcal enterotoxin B with
cell cultures of human embryonic intestine. J. Bact., 9l: 2l.
6. Gabliks, J., G. Strachan, and W. I. Schaeffer. l966. Effect of specific amino acid deficiencies on viral replication in cell cultures. Proc. 7th International Congress of Nutrition.
7. Schaeffer, W. I., and J. Gabliks. l967. Interference by trypsin of the cytotoxicity of staphylococcal enterotoxin B upon human intestine cell cultures. Meeting Abstract: Bact. Proc. p.82.
8. Schaeffer, W. I., J. Gabliks, and R. Calitis. l967. Interference by trypsin in the interaction of staphylococcal enterotoxin B and cell cultures of human embryonic intestine. J. Bact., 93:l489.
9. Stinebring, W. R., and W. I. Schaeffer. l968. Modification of interferon effect by treatment of cells with "trypsin". Meeting Abstract: Bact. Proc., p.l48.
l0. Schaeffer, W. I. l969. Cell culture cytotoxicity to staphylococcal
enterotoxin B: The effect of the type of
growth serum and testing procedures. Bact. Proc., p.80.
11. Schaeffer, W. I. l970. Interaction of staphylococcal enterotoxin
B with cell cultures: I. Effect of serum
and testing procedures. Infection and Immunity, l: 455.
l2. Savel, H., B. Forsyth, W. Schaeffer, and T. Cardella. l970. Effect of aflatoxin Bl on cultured human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med., l34: lll2.
l3. Bland, J. H., G. O'Connor, and W. I. Schaeffer. l97l. Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva: A study of collagen and glycosaminoglycans. Arthritis and Rheumatism, l4: l5l.
l4. Bausher, J. C., and W. I. Schaeffer. l974. A diploid rat liver cell culture. I. The isolation and sensitivity to aflatoxin Bl. In Vitro, 9: 286.
l5. Bausher, J. C., and W. I. Schaeffer. l974. A diploid rat
liver cell culture. II. Effect of aflatoxin Bl on RNA
synthesis in vitro. In Vitro, 9: 294.
l6. Schaeffer, W. I., N. E. Smith, P. A. Payne, and D. M. Wilson. l974. The physiological and biochemical effect of the mycotoxin patulin on Chang liver cell cultures. In Vitro, ll: 69-77.
l7. Schaeffer, W. I., and M. D. Polifka. l975. A diploid rat liver cell culture. III. Characterization of the heteroploid morphological variants which develop with time in culture. Exp. Cell Res.,95: l67-l75.
l8. Rosenberg, N., W. I. Schaeffer, and Leila Diamond. l975. Isolation of variant cells from SV-40 transformed human diploid fibroblasts. Can. Res., 35: l970-l974.
l9. Schaeffer, W. I., and K. Friend. l976. Efficient detection of soft agar grown colonies using a tetrazoleum salt. Cancer Letters, l: 259.
20. Schaeffer, W. I., N. H. Heintz, A. H. L. Chuang, and E. Bresnick. l977. Sensitivity of early vs late passages of a rat hepatocyte culture for toxicological studies of carcinogens. In Vitro, l3: l54.
2l. Schaeffer, W. I., and N. H. Heintz. l978. A diploid rat liver
cell culture. IV. Malignant transformation by
aflatoxin Bl. In Vitro, l4: 4l8- 427.
22. McMahon, J. B., W. I. Schaeffer, P. C. Kelleher, and C. J. Smith. l978. Synthesis of alpha-fetoprotein molecular variants by hepatoma cells in vitro and in vivo. Meeting Abstract.
23. Schaeffer, W. I., A. H. L. Chuang, N. H. Heintz, and E. Bresnick. l979. Sensitivity of a cloned diploid rat liver cell line to aflatoxin Bl and benzo(a)pyrene. In Vitro, l5: 437-440.
24. Schaeffer, W. I. l979. Proposed usage of animal tissue culture terms: Usage of vertebrate cell, tissue and organ culture terminology. In Vitro, l5: 649-653.
25. Heintz, N., B. Little, E. Bresnick, and W. I. Schaeffer. l980. Malignant trans-formation of cultured rat hepatocytes by (+) and (-)-trans,8-dihydro- 7,8-dihydroxy-benzo(a)pyrene. Can. Res., 40: l28l-1285.
26. Schaeffer, W. I. l980. The long-term culture of a diploid rat hepatocyte cell strain. In: C. Borek and G. M. Williams (ed.), Differentiation and carcinogenesis in liver cell cultures. Annals N. Y. Acad. of Sciences, 349: l65-l82.
27. Schaeffer, W. I., and D. Kessler. l980. Human liver cells in culture. In: Methods in Cell Biology, 2l: Part B: 457-473. Academic Press, N. Y.
28. Tierney, B., D. Weaver, N. Heintz, W. I. Schaeffer, and E. Bresnick. l980. The identity and nuclear uptake of a cytosolic binding protein for 3- methylcholanthrene. Arch. Biochem., 200:5l3-523.
29. Heintz, N., B. Tierney, E. Bresnick, and W. I. Schaeffer. l98l. Saturable high affinity binding of 3-methylcholanthrene to a 4S cytoplasmic protein; correlation to induction of aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase in cultured rat hepatocytes. Can. Res., 4l: l794-l802.
30. Israel, B. A., and W. I. Schaeffer. 1982. Cytoplasmic hybrids
(cybrids) and reconstructed cells between
normal and tumorigenic rat liver cells: Suppression of the tumorigenic phenotype. (Abstract) In Vitro, 18: 284.
31. Schaeffer, W. I., B. F. vonKreuter, E. A. Reichard and G. Sato. 1983. The selection of malignantly transformed rat liver cells using a hormonally defined medium. In Vitro, 19: 108-110.
32. Schaeffer, W. I. 1984. Usage of Vertebrate, Invertebrate and Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture Terminology. In Vitro, 20:19-24.
33. Schaeffer, W. I. 1985. Nomenclature of cells in culture. In Vitro, In Monograph #5, Uses and Standardization of Vertebrate Cell Cultures. Tissue Culture Association, Gaithersburg, Maryland, pgs. 19-24.
34. Schaeffer, W. I. and B. A. Israel. 1987. Cytoplasmic Suppression
of Malignancy; In Vitro Cellular and
Developmental Biology 23(9):627-632.
35. Houser, W. H., C. K. Cunninghanm, R. N. Hines, W. I. Schaeffer and E. Bresnick. 1987 Interaction of the 4S Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Binding Protein with the Cytochrome P450c Gene; Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 259(1):215-223.
36. Israel, B. A. and W. I. Schaeffer. 1988. Cytoplasmic Mediation
of Malignancy; In Vitro Cellular
and Developmental Biology 24(5):487-490.
37. Schaeffer, W. I. 1990. Terminology Associated with Cell Tissue and Organ Culture, Molecular Biology and Molecular Genetics. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology, 26:97-101.
38. Schaeffer, W. I., Stephen G. Simkins and B. J. Lamore 1990.
A System Employing a Minimal Defined
Medium for the Selection of Tumorigenic Cells. In Vitro Cell and Developmental Biology 26:737-740.
39. Schaeffer, W. I. Terminology. In: Cell & Tisue Culture: Laboratory Procedures; J. B. Griffiths, A. Doyle and D. G. Newell Eds., John Wiley & Sons Limited. In Press.
40. Schaeffer, W. I., L. D. Olson, M. F. Barile and F. W. Sun. 1991. Analysis of Mycoplasma hyorhinis DNA in the Presence of Host Cells without Growing the Mycoplasma Axenically. J. Bact. 173:1382-1387.
41. Schaeffer, W. I. and R. Melamede. 1993. Fluorometric Quantitation of Broth-Cultured Mycoplasmas by Using Alkaline Ethidium Bromide. J. Clin. Microbiol. 31:1303-1307
42. Zavizion, B., M. Van Duffelen, W. Schaeffer and I. Politis. 1996. Establishment and Characterization of a Bovine Mammary Epithelial Cell Line with Unique Properties. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biol., 32:138-148.
43. Zavizion, B., M. Van Duffelen, W. Schaeffer and I. Politis. 1996. Establishment and Characterization of a BovineMammary Myoepithelial Cell Line. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biol., 32:149-158.
44. Zavizion, B., M. Van Duffelen, W. Schaeffer and I. Politis. 1996. Use of microinjection to generate an immortalized bovine mammary cell line with both epithelial and myoepithelial characteristics. Methods in Cell Science, 17(4), 271-282.
45. Dodson, M. V. and W. I. Schaeffer, 2000, Generation of viable cell-culture data. Methods in Cell Science, 22(1), 27.