University of Vermont

Office of the Registrar

Transfer Guide


:: Initial Classification

A new student first indicates residency status when applying for admission to the University or when registering for a course. Students applying for admission to a degree or certificate program are classified as eligible or not eligible for in-state tuition at the time their applications to the University are received and processed.  Non-matriculated (non-degree) students are classified as eligible or not eligible for in-state tuition at the time their registration forms are received and processed. The classification is based on information and documentation furnished by the student and other information available to the University.

You may be asked to complete an Application for In-state Status if one or more of the following circumstances apply:

  • You currently live outside Vermont for any purpose, including, but not limited to, education, volunteer activities, military service, travel, employment.
  • You have attended a college outside Vermont.
  • You have been employed or domiciled outside Vermont within the last three years.
  • You are not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident.
  • Your spouse, partner, or parent is in Vermont as a nonresident student, medical resident, fellow, or for other temporary employment.
  • You are 24 years of age or younger and a parent lives outside Vermont.
  • You are 24 years of age or younger and have attended or graduated from a high school outside Vermont.
  • You have attended an out-of-state high school and have been involved in educational pursuits for the majority of time since high school graduation.
  • You previously attended a Vermont college or university as a nonresident.
  • You failed to provide all information and/or answer all questions on your application or registration form.
  • Your application or registration form does not provide enough information to make a residency determination.

Other circumstances may also require you to file a residency application.

If you ask to be considered an in-state student and if we initially classify you as an out-of-state student, we usually write and ask you to fill out an Application for In-State Status. You are responsible for enrolling under the proper residence classification for tuition purposes and must verify your status and contact the Residency Office if there is any question concerning your classification. 

If we classify you as a non-resident and you feel you meet the requirements for in-state tuition and wish to be considered for in-state eligibility, you must complete an Application for In-state Status, provide all necessary documentation, and submit all materials on a timely basis.



Last modified March 27 2012 02:04 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131