Meet the Radiation Safety Office Personnel
Meet the Radiation Safety Committee
The RSC By-laws approved December 2014 and may be viewed here..Membership List 2017
- Jonathan Boyson, Surgery
- Francis Churchill,
- Paula Deming, Medical Lab and Radiation Science
- Wolfgang Dostmann, Pharmacology
- Dan Harvey, Office of the VP for Research Ex Officio
- John Hughes, Geology, Vice Chair
- Scott Kathe, Micro & Molecular
- Thomas Kellogg, Radiation Safety Office Ex Officio
- Brian Oyadomari, UVM Medical Center - Medical Physics Ex Officio
- Donna Silver,
Sponsered Project Admin Ex Officio
The Purpose of the Radiation Safety Committee
February 13, 2009
The Radiation Safety Committee is a federally mandated committee, appointed by the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies, consisting of both faculty and staff which represent various departments that possess radioactive materials and/or x-ray producing equipment. The members of this committee are appointed to a 3-year term, and can be renewed. The committee meets as often as necessary but at least once per calendar quarter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The purpose of the Radiation Safety Committee is as follows;
1. Establish policies and regulations on all matters relating to the safe handling and use of ionizing radiation sources at the University.
2. Review and approve all research and instructional activities involving ionizing radiation sources at the University.
3. Ensure that the rights and welfare of all persons involved with ionizing radiation sources are adequately protected.
4. Ensure that any risks to individuals are far outweighed by the potential benefit or by the general importance of the knowledge to be gained.
5. Terminate or place irrevocable restrictions on the use of ionizing radiation sources in a research study.
6. Investigate actual or suspected violations of safety rules or improper use of ionizing radiation sources brought to its attention by the Radiation Safety Office or other responsible personnel; and recommend corrective action to be taken.
Last modified January 06 2017 02:36 PM