University of Vermont

Medical and Dental Information

Medical and dental care check-ups

A physical exam is not required for attendance at UVM, though it is a good idea to have a medical and dental exams before you travel. Note that the basic UVM student health insurance plan does not cover dental care.


Bring any prescription medications (with copies of your prescriptions translated into English). If you can bring the chemical/medical name of the drug with you, it may be easier to find the equivalent when you arrive in the U.S. Prescription medication often costs more in the U.S., so you may want to bring a sufficient supply with you.


All students attending college in Vermont are required by state law to have certain immunizations. It is a good idea to schedule medical and dental appointments at the same time you schedule your immunizations (see below for more information on medical and dental visits).

UVM’s immunization requirement has been developed in cooperation with the Vermont State Department of Health. It is intended to protect the health of the UVM community.

The following immunizations are mandatory for all students in Vermont:

  • Measles (Rubeola): All students must provide documentation of TWO measles vaccinations, received on or after the first birthday.
  • Mumps: All students must provide documentation of TWO mumps vaccinations.
  • Rubella: All students must provide documentation of TWO rubella vaccinations. Two vaccinations of the combined Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) vaccine will be acceptable documentation of the vaccines listed above. Proof of immunity by positive blood test (titer) is also acceptable.
  • Tetanus/diphtheria (Tdap or Td): All students must provide documentation of a tetanus or tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccination within the past 10 years.
  • Varicella (chicken pox): All students must provide documentation of TWO varicella vaccinations, OR provide a date of the year the student had the disease. Proof of immunity by positive blood test (titer) is also acceptable.
  • Meningococcal (Meningitis): All students living in campus residence halls must provide documentation of the meningitis vaccine.
  • Hepatitis B: All students must provide documentation of THREE Hepatitis B vaccines. The Hepatitis B series of three vaccines is administered over a six month period. Proof of immunity by a positive surface antibody titer is also acceptable.

Immunization History Form (PDF) - Please bring this form with you when you arrive in Vermont in June. Your personal health care provider can complete the form, OR you can attach a COPY of any immunization documentation which you already have.

If you do not already have the above list of immunizations, you will need to arrange to get them before you travel to the United States. If you arrive without the required vaccines, you can arrange to get the vaccines or blood tests (titers) to verify immunity.

Note that there will be a charge for any immunizations or blood tests done at UVM. It is strongly recommended that you obtain the required vaccinations BEFORE you leave China.

If you have questions about these requirements, please contact Margaret Johnson Phone: (802) 656-0602 or Email:

Last modified April 08 2013 11:30 AM

Contact UVM © 2016 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131