University of Vermont

Information for TN Applicants/Visa Holders

NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada & Mexico.

The TN (Trade NAFTA) nonimmigrant visa category allows for citizens of Canada and Mexico to work in the United States.

Professionals of Canada or Mexico may work in the U.S. if:

  • the applicant is a citizen of either Canada or Mexico
  • the profession is on the NAFTA Professional Job Series list
  • the employment is for a U.S. employer
  • the professional has the qualifications of the profession.

Canadian citizens do not require a visa. A Canadian citizen needs to provide at the port of entry:

  • Request for admission under TN status to Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection, U.S. immigration officer (this is available from the Office of International Education);
  • Employment Letter: Evidence of professional employment;
  • Proof of professional qualifications, such as transcripts of grades, licenses, certificates, degrees, and/or records of previous employment; - Proof of ability to meet applicable license requirements;
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship: Canadian citizens may present a passport, as visas are not required, or they may provide secondary evidence, such as a birth certificate. However, Canadian citizens traveling to the United States from outside the Western Hemisphere are required to present a valid passport at the port-of-entry;
  • Fee of U.S. $50

Mexican citizens are required to obtain a TN visa. They may apply for their visa at a consular post nearest them. To obtain more information about applying for visas, please visit the Embassy Consular website.

For further information about the TN visa, please visit the TN visa page on the State Department's website.

Last modified January 19 2011 02:31 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131