University of Vermont

J-1 Scholar Categories

The J-1 Exchange Visitor program is used for the following appointments: Post-doctoral appointments, non-salaried Visiting Scholar appointments, salaried, non-tenure track appointments, and other temporary academic staff appointments.

Research Scholar/Professor (program duration: 3 weeks to 5 years)

Professors and research scholars may be authorized to participate in an Exchange Visitor Program for the length of time necessary to complete the program providing the program does not exceed five years.

  • Professors are those primarily involved in teaching, lecturing, observing and/or consulting in their fields of expertise. Professor may also engage in research unless disallowed by their sponsor.
  • Researchers are those who are primarily conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with a research project in their fields of expertise. Research scholars may also teach or lecture, incident to their research, unless disallowed by their sponsor.
    • Five Year Rule: The maximum length of program for J-1 exchange visitors in the Research Scholar and Professor category is five years. The five year maximum stay for a J-1 research scholar/professor is not counted in the aggregate. The five year “clock” begins with the start date on the DS-2019 form and this status remains available until the end of five years or the date the J-1 program is concluded, whichever is earlier.
    • The initial DS-2019 will be issued for the duration of the appointment and can be extended up to a maximum of five years; see Extending a J-1 Scholar’s Program at UVM for more information.

Short-Term Scholar (program duration: 1 day to six months)

Short Term Scholars may be authorized a period of stay for up to six months to lecture, observe, consult, to participate in seminars, workshops, conferences, study tours, professional meetings and/or similar types of educational and professional activities. Extensions beyond six months are not permitted.

Specialist (program duration: three weeks to one year)

Specialists are defined as individuals who are experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the U.S. for observing, consulting or demonstrating their special skills. A specialist may not fill a permanent or long-term position of employment while in the U.S. This category is not intended for experts covered by the research scholar, professor, short-term scholar or foreign physician in graduate medical education or training categories. The maximum period of stay is one year.

International Medical Graduates

International Medical Graduates coming to the U.S. to pursue graduate medical education or training must be sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Consult ECFMG for sponsorship requirements.

If there is no or only incidental patient care, UVM may issue J-1s for programs that primarily involve consultation, observation, teaching and/or research.

Visiting Fulbright Scholars

OIE’s J-1 coordinator serves as the institution’s contact person for incoming Fulbright Scholars. Faculty may be contacted by prospective Fulbrighters regarding potential placements. If a faculty member/department is amenable to hosting a Fulbright Scholar, the prospective scholar will first need to notify her/his country’s Fulbright Commission to communicate the intent to join UVM for the fellowship period. The in-country Fulbright Commission will then contact the Institute of International Education in the United States which administers the Fulbright Program. At this point, an IIE representative will initiate contact with UVM’s J-1 adviser regarding formal acceptance paperwork.

Upon arrival, all Fulbright Scholars should check in with the Office of International Education.

Last modified January 26 2011 08:19 AM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131