University of Vermont

On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students enrolled in a full course of study at the University of Vermont are eligible to work for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students may work full-time during vacation periods as long as he or she will continue studies in the following academic term.

Related links

Obtaining a Social Security Number

UVM-affiliated international students, scholars, research personnel, faculty and staff must obtain a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) by submitting an application to the local Burlington Social Security Administration Office, 58 Pearl St., (802) 951-6753.

F-1 students are eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) only if they have a job.

All persons who will be paid by the University of Vermont are required to have a social security number. Please note that all scholarship recipients are, in effect, receiving a form of payment from the University. Upon your arrival at the University, a payroll record will be established for you under a temporary, unofficial identification number assigned by the University.

You need to apply for a SSN in person at the address below:

The Social Security Administration
58 Pearl Street
Burlington, Vermont 05401

Bring the following documents with you:

  • your passport (containing I-94 card and visa stamp if you have one)
  • Your I-20
  • a letter from the OIE

You will need to complete a SSN application as well.

After you apply, your official social security card usually arrives at your mailing address within approximately two weeks. Once you receive this card keep it in a safe place (not in your wallet). It is best to memorize it. You must also notify the UVM Payroll Records (227 Waterman), the Registrar’s Office (360 Waterman), and your U.S. bank so that your records can be adjusted accordingly.

What Kinds of Jobs Can I take?

  • On-campus jobs include any jobs for which UVM will pay you, but also could include work with commercial firms on the UVM campus which provide a direct service to students, such as working in the UVM dining halls.
  • On campus jobs do not need to be related to your academic field of study. You can work for any office or department on campus.
  • International students are not eligible for the federal work study program. Only US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for federal work study jobs.
  • Note: UVM Resident Advisor positions and Community Aide positions at Fort Ethan Allen are both considered to constitute 20 hours per week of employment. No additional work is possible.

How to Find an On-Campus Job

International students work in many different places on campus. Some common locations for undergraduate students include the Learning Co-Op, Residential Life (as Resident Advisors), in the UVM Davis Center, library support, the UVM gym, and in other campus offices. Graduate students commonly work as teaching or research assistants. The OIE sends weekly newsletters which include on-campus job opportunities. However, these are some other ideas to find an on-campus job:

  • Check out the on-campus job board: Undergraduate students can access the UVM Job Board and apply for positions around campus. This is not open to exchange and graduate students. The on-campus job board can be accessed through the “Student Financial Services” tab in your MyUVM account.
  • Speak to faculty/staff in departments around campus: Graduate students should speak with faculty to find out about teaching and research opportunities. Exchange students can also find out about open positions by speaking to departments of interest.
  • Look for posters around campus: Some departments advertise hiring through posters on campus. The bulletin boards in the Davis Center are a common location to look.

Limits to Employment

International students must not exceed the 20 hour-per-week limit for on-campus work when classes are in session. This is the total for all jobs. This is a federal policy and there are no exception to this rule. Exceeding this limit is a serious violation of your student status and could result in the termination of your SEVIS record.

Employment Eligibility Verification and Social Security Numbers

Once you are hired, you will complete paperwork documenting your employment eligibility. All J-1 students must obtain written authorization from their J-1 sponsor before completing this paperwork. Consult an OIE advisor for more information. You will also need to obtain a US Social Security Number if you do not already have one. You can read more about this on this page under "Obtaining A Social Securing Number".

Last modified November 16 2015 02:59 PM

Contact UVM © 2015 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131