Professional Reports and Briefs
- Spending and Student Achievement: Money Matters When Equity is at Issue (Janaury 2014)
- Teacher Salaries and Opportunities to Learn (June 2013)
- The eEnergy Vermont Collaborative: Bringing the Smart Grid to the State of Vermont (February 2013)
- Why a Comprehensive Approach to Educational Reform is Necessary (January 2013)
- Educational Productivity and Opportunities to Learn (September 2012)
- Addressing the Needs of Children of Incarcerated Parents (February 2012)
- Student Mobility and Opportunity to Learn: Money Matters (January 2012)
- Can Voluntary School District Mergers Succeed? (October 2011)
- Parent Information Resource Centers and Title I Compliance (June 2011)
- Identifying Opportunities for Integrated Service Delivery to Children, Youth, and Young Adults with Disabilities (February 2012)
- Lamoille Community Justice Project Program Evaluation: Fall 2009 - Summer 2010 (August 2010)
- Homelessness Phase V Report: Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program: Final Report (March 31, 2010)
- General Assistance (GA) Pilot: Phase 3 Evaluation Report (August 2009)
- General Assistance (GA) Pilot: Phase 3 Executive Summary (August 24, 2009)
- General Assistance (GA) Pilot: Phase 2 Evaluation Report (January 2009)
- General Assistance (GA) Pilot: Phase 2 Executive Summary (January 21, 2008)
- General Assistance (GA) Housing Benefits Flexibility Pilot Programs Evaluation: Phase 1 (November 15, 2007)
- General Assistance (GA) Housing Benefits Flexibility Pilot Programs Evaluation: Phase 1 - Executive Summary (November 2007)
- A Study of Consumer Satisfaction with Services and Supports Provided by the Agency of Human Services, 2005 (2005)
- A Study of Staff Satisfaction at the Vermont Agency of Human Services, 2005 (2005)
- Windsor County Sparrow Project Program Evaluation: Final Report of Year One Findings, June 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010 (May 2011)
- Incarcerated Women's Initiative (IWI) (June 2007)
- Equity of Opportunity To Learn, Spending and Student Achievement (April 5, 2014)
- Interim Report on Act 153 (CY 2012): An Act Relating to Voluntary School District Merger, Virtual Merger, Supervisory Union Duties, and Including Secondary Students with Disabilities in Senior Year Activities and Ceremonies (January 2013)
- Educational Opportunities Working Group Report on Aligning Funding, Opportunities to Learn and Outcomes of the Educational System (December 2012)
- Interim Report on Act 153 (CY 2011): An Act Relating to Voluntary School District Merger, Virtual Merger, Supervisory Union Duties, and Including Secondary Students with Disabilities in Senior Year Activities and Ceremonies (July 2012)
- Identifying Opportunities for Integrated Service Delivery to Children, Youth, and Young Adults with Disabilities (February 2012)
- Report on Voluntary School District Merger Activity and Process (CY10), Executive Summary (March 23, 2011)
- Vermont Teacher Diversity Report 2010: Study of Diversity of School Personnel and Recruiting Practices (2010)
- Evaluation of the "Quantum Leap" Truancy and Dropout Prevention Programs Mount Anthony Union High School, Bennington Vermont: Final Evaluation Report (March 2006)
- Windham Region Mobility Study: Coordination of Transportation Services to Improve Mobility for All of the Windham Region's Residents. (November 2012)
Vermont Mathematics Initiative (VMI)
- The Vermont Mathematics Initiative: Student Acheivement from Grade 4 to Grade 10 2000 to 2006 (March 2008)
- Evaluating the Vermont Mathematics Initiative in a Value Added Context (this is a powerpoint presentation of the March 2008 paper)
- Vermont Mathematics Initiative Program Evaluation (May 2005)
- Executive Summary VMI Evaluation (Executive Summary of the May 2005 Evaluation)
Vermont Legislative Research Service (VLRS) Policy Briefs
The Vermont Legislative Research Service (VLRS), formerly the Vermont Legislative Research Shop, was founded in 1998 and became part of the UVM Jeffords Center in 2010. The VLRS strives to provide non-partisan policy research support to state legislators while concurrently promoting students' research skills. Students work in research teams to produce reports answering questions posed by Legislators or create new reports based on current issues in the Legislature, under the supervision of Professor Anthony Gierzynski, Director of the VLRS.
- Criminal Justice and Corrections
- Economic Issues
- Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) Report
- Politics and Government
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
Cartier, L. & Ali, S. (2012). Pearl farming as a sustainable development path. Solutions Journal, 3 (4), 30-34.
Donovan, E., & Shepherd, K. (2013). Implementing multi-tiered systems of support in mathematics: Findings from two schools. Journal of Special Education Apprenticeship, 2(1).
Giles, C.D., G. Druschel, A.E. Richardson, J.E. Hill. (2012). Organic anion-driven solubilization of precipitate and sorbed phytate improves hydrolysis by phytases and bioavailability to Nicotiana tabacum. Soil Science, 177 (10), 591-598.
Griffin, P. & Ali, S.H. (in press). Managing transboundary wetlands: The Ramsar Convention as a means of environmental diplomacy. Journal of Environmental Studies and Science.
Hill, J.E., and Giles, C.D. (2011). Think Globally, Act Locally: Targeting the Rhizosphere to Control Soil Fertility and Improve Water Quality. American Geophysical Union, Hydrology Section, December Newsletter, pp. 28-30.
Huang, G., Zhou, W., & Ali, S. Spatial patterns and economic contributions of mining and tourism in biodiversity hotspots: A case study in Yunnan China. Ecological Economics, 70 (8), 1492 – 1498.
Keir, L., Watts, R. & Inwood, S. (2014): Environmental justice and citizen perceptions of a proposed electric transmission line. Community Development, DOI: 10.1080/15575330.2014.887130
Keir, L. & Ali, S. (2014). Conflict assessment in energy infrastructure siting: Prospects for consensus building in the Northern Pass transmission line project. Negotiation Journal, April 2014.
Koliba, C. (2011). Introduction to “Performance Management in Governance Networks: Critical Concepts and Practices.” Public Performance Management Review, 34 (4), 515-519.
Koliba, C., Zia, A. (in press). Theory Testing Using Complex Systems Modeling in Public Administration and Policy Studies: Challenges and Opportunities for a Meta-Theoretical Research Program. Emergence: Complexity & Organization.
Koliba, C., Zia, A., and Lee, B. 2011. Governance Informatics: Utilizing Computer Simulation Models to Manage Complex Governance Networks. The Innovation Journal: The Public Sector Innovation Journal. 16 (1), Article 3.
Moore, C., Shoulberg, E., & Murray-Close, D. (2012). The Protective Role of Teacher Preference for At-Risk Children’s Social Status. Aggressive Behavior, 38 (6), 481-493.
Shepherd, K., & Salembier, G. (2010). Leading, learning, and literacy: Implementing a response to intervention approach in the Riverside elementary school. New England Reading Association Journal 46, (1), 38 – 49.
Shepherd, K., Salembier, G. (2011). Improving schools through a response to intervention approach: A cross-case analysis of three rural schools. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 30 (3), 3-15.
Shoulberg, E.K., Sijtsema, J.J., Murray-Close, D. (2011). The association between valuing popularity and relational aggression: The moderating effects of actual popularity and physiological reactivity to exclusion. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 110(1), 20-37.
Zia, A. (2012) Land Use Adaptation to Climate Change: Economic Damages from Land-Falling Hurricanes in the Atlantic and Gulf States of the USA, 1900-2005. Sustainability 4: 917-932.
Zia, A., and Glantz, M. (2012) Risk Zones: Comparative Lesson Drawing and Policy Learning from Flood Insurance Programs. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: Research and Practice 14(2): 143-159.
Zia, A., Kauffman, S., Niiranen, S. (2012) The Prospects and Limits of Algorithms in Simulating Creative Decision Making. Emergence: Complexity and Organization (E:CO) – An International Transdisciplinary Journal of Complex Social Systems 14 (3): 89-109.
Zia, A., Metcalf, S., Koliba, C., Widner, M. (in press). Agent Based Models of Cross-Jurisdictional Governance Networks: Simulating the Emergence of Project Prioritization Patterns Under Alternate Policy Theoretical Frameworks and Network Structures. Emergence: Complexity & Organization.
Zia, A., Hameed, K. (in press). Politics of Conflict in Pakistan’s Tribal Areas: Vulnerability Reduction in Violence-Prone Complex Adaptive Systems. Digest of Middle East Studies (DOMES).
Zia, A. and Koliba, C. (in press). Modeling of Intergovernmental Decision Making for Funding Transportation Projects. Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Society.
Zia, A. and Koliba, C. (2011). Climate Change Governance and Accountability: Dilemmas of Performance Management in Complex Governance Networks. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis. 13(5): 479-497.
Zia, A., C. Koliba (2013) Agent-Based Modeling of Intergovernmental Decision Making: How Institutional Rules Generate Basins of Attraction in Funding Transportation Projects. Transportation Research Board 92nd Annual Meeting. Washington DC, January 2013. Paper No. 13-2153.
Zia, A., Koliba, C., De Pinto, T. (2012) Multi-Criteria Evaluation of Metropolitan Transportation Planning Scenarios: Assessing Trade-Offs Between Business-As-Usual and Alternate Sustainable Community Designs. Transportation Research Board 2012 Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 2012. Paper no. 12-2461.
Pincus, R. & Ali, S. eds. (in press) Diplomacy on Ice: Energy and the Environment in the Arctic and Antarctic. Yale University Press, April 2014.
Ali, S.H. & Ackley, M. (2011). Foreign investment and environmental justice in an island economy: Mining, bottled water, and corporate social responsibility in Fiji. In Julian Agyeman and JoAnn Carmin (eds.), Environmental Inequities Beyond Borders: Local Perspectives on Global Injustices. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Ali, S.H. & Watzin, M. Science and spatial security: Building peace through environmental cooperation in southern Europe. In Rita Floyd and Richard Mathews (Eds.), Environmental Security: Approaches and Issues. London: Routledge, 2013.
Beckage, B., Kauffman, S. Zia, A., Koliba, C., Gross, L.J. 2013. Book chapter: More Complex Complexity: Exploring the Nature of Computational Irreducibility Across Physical, Biological, and Human Social Systems. Zenil, H. editor. Irreducibility and Computational Equivalence. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. 79-88.
Koliba, C. 2013. Book chapter: Governance Network Performance: Foundations of Theory Development and Empirical Analysis. Agranoff, B., Mandell, M., and Keast, R. editors. Advances in Network Governance. Routledge Press: New York, NY.
Koliba, C. (2011). Book chapter: Administrative Strategies for a Networked World: The Educational Imperative for Intergovernmental Relations in 2020. Thurmaier, K. and Meek, J. editors. Network Governance: Implications for Intergovernmental Relations in 2020. New York: Sage Publications.
Koliba, C. and Zia, A. (in press). Book chapter: Governance Informatics: Using Computer Simulation Models to Deepen Situational Awareness and Governance Design Considerations. DeSouza, K. and Johnston, E. editors. Policy Informatics. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA.
Koliba, C., and Zia, A. 2013. Complex Systems Modeling in Public Administration and Policy Studies: Challenges and Opportunities for a Meta-Theoretical Research Program. In L. Gerrits and P.K. Marks (Eds.), COMPACT I: Public Administration in Complexity. Litchfield Park, AZ: Emergent Publications.
Koppenjan, J. and Koliba, C. Symposium Co-Editors. 2013. The Complexity of New Public Governance. International Review of Public Administration.
Zia, A., Kelman, I., Glantz, M. (in press) Arctic Melting Tests the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. In Diplomacy on Ice: Polar Governance in the Age of Climate Change. Editors: S. Ali and R. Pincus. Yale University Press, New Haven CT.
Zia, A. (2013) Post-Kyoto Climate Governance: Confronting the Politics of Scale, Ideology and Knowledge. Rutledge, London UK.
Zia, A., Koliba, C., and Tian, Y. 2013. Governance Network Analysis: Experimental Simulations of Alternate Institutional Designs for Intergovernmental Project Prioritization Processes. In L. Gerrits and P.K. Marks (Eds.), COMPACT I: Public Administration in Complexity. Litchfield Park, AZ: Emergent Publications
DeCarlo, Anjanette (2013). Sustainable Strategies for Implementing Development Assistance: Enterprise, Women's Empowerment and NGOs in Africa and the Diaspora. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Donovan, Erin (2013). Peer Sexual Harassment in College: The Relationship with Status and College Adjustment. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Giles, Courtney D. (2012) The role of plant and bacterial organic anion production in the bioavailability of myo-inositol hexakisphosphate: implications for soil phosphorus cycling and agricultural nutrient mitigation. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Glesner, Talia J. (2014) Programming for Families Impacted by Incarceration: An Ecological Exploration Ed.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Onderwyzer, Susan A. (2011). Vermont incarcerated women's initiative drug education, treatment, enforcement and rehabilitation projects evaluation: promising practices for reducing recidivism Ed.D Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Pincus, Rebecca (2013) United States Department of Defense and the Challenge of Climate Change. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Reeves, Susan A. (2010). Deliberate dialogue: evaluation teaching effectiveness of a patient safety communication technique. Ed.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Roy, Meagan E. (2010). Effective practices for teaching learners with autism spectrum disorders: validation of a program assessment tool. Ed.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Shoulberg, Erin K. (2012). The contextual nature of popularity goals : associations with math engagement and achievement during the transition to adolescence. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Swindlehurst, Kelly Ann (2014). Meeting the Needs of All Learners: The Impact of Teacher Education on Teacher Readiness. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Voinov Vladich, Helena (2013). Participatory Spatial Analysis, High Resolution Remote Sensing Data and Ecosystem Services Valuation Approach as Tools for Environmental Consensus Building. 2013. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Vermont.
Fournier, Kate. (2012) An Evaluation of the Cactus Ferruginous Pygmy Owl Delisting. Master's Project, University of Vermont.
Keir, L. (2013). Public participation in energy infrastructure development: The case of the Northern Pass transmission line. Master's Thesis, University of Vermont.
Kent, Daniel (2013). Assessing the Evolution of an Intergovernmental Transportation Planning Network's Democratic Anchorage. Master's Thesis, University of Vermont.
Turner, Leslie (Drake) (2013). Making Space for Collaboration and Change in Vermont's Food System: Social Network Analysis of the Farm to Plate Network. Master's Thesis, University of Vermont.