The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation's survey of College Street considers that this Greek Revival house was built circa 1835. (1) However, David Blow's research indicates that Ira Shattuck, partner in the Shattuck & Cottrell stagecoach business, bought the land in the 1840's and occupied the house until his death in 1885. Later occupants included W.H.S. Whitcomb, an agent for the Equitable Life Insurance Company, whose family lived here until 1912, followed by the family of Dr. Clifford A. Pease from 1913 to 1961. (2) This house has a great stylistic similarity to nearby number 289 College Street: both houses are gable-ended three-bay structures with full pediments that contain elliptical fanlights. Number 301 is graced by a simple but well-detailed front door with narrow sidelights and a side porch with an enclosed upper story.
(1) Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey: Burlington College Street.
(2) Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods Vol. II, 13-14.