316 S. Winooski Avenue
316 S. Winooski Avenue
(east side between Adams and Spruce)
Lois H. Coulter

A 1½-story 3x2 bay brick Federal/Greek Revival transitional style house with a main façade orientation and a rear ell, this house was built ca 1835, probably by James Russell, an employee of Lawrence Barnes and Company, a lumberyard.1 Built on a symmetrical plan there are two internal chimneys flanking the house. Kneewall windows on the second floor have been replaced but the plain wood surrounds and sills remain, 316 S. Winooski Avenue - detail of front steps and porchas do the splayed brick lintels. Other windows on all elevations are two over two sash style with brick lintels matching those on the second floor. The centered entrance is a Queen Anne period style and the porch is in the Eastlake style with chamfered posts, both of which would indicate their addition at a later date to replace the original entrance. The porch is covered in wisteria, making examination of the front door and main floor windows difficult. The slate roof with its 316 S. Winooski Avenue - basement doorGreek Revival cornice molding has a boxed cornice with returns. There is a diagonal ghost on the south side wall above the cellar door suggesting an earlier shed addition to the south end of the house. Scratched into the brick near the thick granite lintel above the cellar door is “Carolyn Barrows, Evening July 23, 1896”. Agustus H. Barrows, a dealer in crockery and glassware in the Bank Block in downtown Burlington purchased the house in 1878. It can reasonably be assumed that Carolyn was a daughter of the house.2

1 Burlington Land Records, Volume 15, p 267, August 1841
2 The Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey, Burlington, South Winooski Avenue

Return to Church Street Corridor