222 Maple Street
(north side between S. Winooski and Union)
Lois H. Coulter
Known as the Kidder house, this building was constructed ca 1850. Its first known occupant was D.P. Kidder, a beekeeper who, until his death in 1888, manufactured patent beehives in a shop behind his house. He was listed in the city directories as an apiculturist.1 The owner of the J.W. Goodell marble works where Kidder’s son was foreman bought the house to be his residence in 1889. It remained in the Goodell family until the death of his widow, although in 1917 the house was divided into two apartments with Mrs. Goodell retaining possession of one of them.2 Built in a style popular in Burlington in the late 1840s-early 1850s, 222 Maple Street is similar to many other structures in the area in form and detail. The Greek Revival style house has a rectangular massing with three by three bays. A clapboarded rear gabled wing added in 1870. There is a porch in the ell supported by brick piers . The main façade is gable front with typical pointed arched gable lights. Stone steps lead to the porch that has a pedimented hood with a plain entablature echoing the gable front. The columns supporting the porch add a note of individuality to the house; instead of the usual round fluted columns, these are polygonal. The right side entrance paneled door has recessed three-quarter sidelights with bracketed molded surrounds. The one over one windows on all elevations have typical splayed brick lintels and flat wood sills.
1 Burlington City Directories
2 National Register for Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Battery, King Street Historic District (amendment), p. 23
Return to Church Street Corridor