214 Maple Street
(northeast corner Maple and S. Winooski)
Lois H. Coulter
This house is similar in style to those found on Pearl Street built at the same time. It is a 2½ story rectangular block painted brick Greek Revival gable front style house built ca 1850. Its original owner was tobacconist M. A. Evarts who was at one time the street commissioner for the City of Burlington. He sold the house to a widow, Mrs. Atwater in 1881. Subsequently it was sold to Michael Dora, a restauranteur who opened the first soft drink bottling plant in the city.1 It remains a single-family dwelling. The coursed sandstone raised foundation supports a bonded brick structure 3x3 bays with a front right side entrance hall. It has paired end chimneys, parapeted raking eaves and a slate roof. The front door is recessed with fluted Ionic wood pilasters, a full entablature including dentil molding and three-quarter sidelights. There are pointed arched gable lights. The windows are not original to the house - they are one over one sash windows but the original splayed brick lintels and painted wood sills remain.
1 National Register for Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Battery, King Street Historic District (amendment), p. 23
Return to Church Street Corridor