This late Federal style house with a brick rear wing was constructed between 1835 and 1845 (1). "A large, brick structure," at north end of Willard Street, then Shelburne Street, on the 1830 Ammi B. Young map, housed Eleazer H. Demings' store and was purchased in 1828 by Sidney Barlow (2). According to the Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods, this store may have been dismantled between 1834 and 1836, and its bricks used to construct this house to the east of the original structure. Ellen Platt, daughter of Sidney Barlow and widow of the late George K. Platt, who died in 1857, is the first recorded resident (3). She lived here until her death in 1883, when Emory C. Mower, who later became president of the Burlington Grocery Company, purchased the property and replaced the front entrance door. He and his wife lived here until her death in 1925, when the Athena Club, a national women's social group, purchased the home to use as its Club House, which had been previously located at 187 Pearl Street (4). In 1935 the barn on the property was purchased by Francis H. Killery, who moved it to nearby 9 Adsit Court and converted it to a residence (5). By 1942 the small entrance portico had been added, and the second floor housed apartments by 1960. A small, wooden addition to the north of the brick wing was added after 1978.
(1) Adele Cramer, "Vermont Historic Sites and Structures Survey-Burlington-Pearl Street (7/1/77)," Vermont Division for Historic Preservation. Photocopy.
(2) William S. Rann ed. History of Chittenden County, Vermont (Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1886), 423; Burlington Free Press, 1 June 1882, 3:3.
(3) Although the 1862 Wainwright map of Burlington lists William H. Hoyt as residing at this general location, the 1867 Burlington City Directory, which is the first noting William H. Hoyt, lists Hoyt and Mrs. George K. Platt as living in separate locations with Mrs. Platt's home on "Pearl Street, head of Willard." (70).
(4) Land Records of the Town of Burlington, Vermont, July 8, 1925, vol. 79, p. 210.
(5) David Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods (Burlington: Chittenden County Historical Society, 1991), 57.