Historic Site Review,
Photo of the shop with Orange Smalley in the foreground, c. 1890, from The Electrical Engineer. This view shows that the building appeared much as it does today with the porch extending across the front. The twelve-over-eight window sash on the second story probably date from the original circa 1830s construction, while the two-over-two window sash were probably replacements installed during the nineteenth century renovations. A brick chimney rose from the center of the roof at the ridge. The clapboards and trim were painted dark, but the porch posts and windows sash are painted light, probably white. The corner of the small barn located south of the building is barely visible in the 1890 photograph. It seems to be positioned closer to the house than it is now.
Back to the history