|BWV 127 Herr Jesu Christ, wahr' Mensch und
Estomihi (Quinquagesima Sunday).
1. Paul Eber, verse 1 of the hymn, 1562 (Wackernagel, IV, #2); 2. based freely on verses 2 and 3; 3. based freely on verse 4; 4. first part based freely on verse 5, second part on verse 6 and 7; 5. verse 8 of the hymn.
11 February 1725, Leipzig.
BG 26; NBA I/8.
1. Chorus [Verse 1] (S, A, T, B)
Lord Jesus Christ, true man and God,
2. Recit. (T)
When ev'rything at that last hour strikes terror,
3. Aria (S)
My soul shall rest in Jesus' bosom,(1)
I am at dying undismayed,
For me my Jesus shall awake.
4. Recit. and Aria (B)
When once at last the trumps have sounded,
In truth, in truth, I say to you:(3)
And death eternal shall not taste.(6)
But ever cleave,
My child, to me:
I'll break with my mighty and rescuing hand
The violent bonds of encompassing death.
5. Chorale [Verse 8] (S, A, T, B)
Ah, Lord, forgive us all our sins,
1.OP usually has Wunden instead of Hünden. Translate "wounds then" or "sorrows."
5. Cf. Jn. 5:24; verbatim from the hymn.
6. Cf. Jn. 8:52; verbatim from the
© Copyright Z. Philip Ambrose