Home Improvement Fraud : Consumer Assistance Program : University of Vermont

University of Vermont

Consumer Hotline:  Toll Free In VT (800) 649-2424 or (802) 656-3183


Home Improvement Fraud

Home improvement problems are among the top ten complaint categories in Vermont and throughout the country. Because your home is probably your most valuable asset, it is particularly important that you protect that asset by making wise decisions when having work done on your home.

Where to Go for Help

You can contact the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) to find out if complaints have been filed against the contractor you are considering hiring.  Keep in mind, however, that a lack of complaints doesn’t necessarily mean that the contractor is reputable, particularly if he or she is new to the area. Also, some disreputable contractors may change business names to keep a clean record.  You should also contact the CAP if you have a complaint against a contractor.  The staff at the CAP will contact the business on your behalf in an attempt to resolve your complaint. In addition, your complaint will become part of the public record, so that consumers who inquire about this contractor will become aware of your complaint.

If you believe you have been defrauded by a contractor, you may also file a police report of home improvement fraud with your local police department or other law enforcement agency.  Home improvement fraud is a crime, and can be prosecuted in Vermont.

Home Improvement Fraud Registry

Registry Link Icon  You may review the State registry of all persons who have been criminally convicted or resolved civil claims by the State of Vermont for committing “home improvement fraud”.

Lead questions?

For information on lead in homes, visit the Attorney General's website.  Is your contractor lead-certified?  Click here to search for EPA lead-certified contractors.

Find Out More

Want to find out more about your consumer rights with respect to home improvement? Visit our Home Improvement FAQs page for additional information.

Last modified April 06 2017 01:56 PM

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131