While the sky is the limit when it comes to the type of events offered on a farm, one cornerstone of agritourism is education. Resources in this section will guide you towards creating authentic educational on-farm experiences to enrich visitors and your farm.
On-Farm Activity Guides and Resources
- A Guide For Connecting Farms to Schools and Communities Vermont Food Education Every Day (VT-FEED) Designed to help farmers, teachers, and others interested in how to use farms for education, and connect them to the community. Includes strategies to market local food to schools, and 45 hand-on, farm-based, educational activities.
- Cultivating Joy and Wonder: Educating for Sustainability in Early Childhood through Nature, Food and Community Shelburne Farms Engaging activities, essays, and resources that encourage children to explore and engage in the world around them. The book is the fruit of Shelburne Farms’ years of experience in early childhood education and sustainability, both on the Farm and with partners at the Sustainability Academy and King Street Center in Burlington, Vermont.
- A collection of printable farm activities VT-FEED
- A collection of farm-based education books and activities Shelburne Farms
- Activities on Science, Gardening, Nutrition and More Life Lab
- A collection of printable farm activities from Cultivating Joy and Wonder Shelburne Farms
- Teacher-Farmer Letter Templates for Field Trips VT-FEED
- Tips for Working With Students of All Ages VT-FEED
- Sample Contract for Space Rental Jacob’s Farm
- Farm-Based Education Network Resources and referrals
- Edible Schoolyard Project Connecting educators to build and a share a K-12 edible education curriculum
- Shelburne Farms Newsletter Receive news of upcoming farmer-educator trainings (sign up by clicking on the envelope at the top of the home page)
- Farm to Community Mentors A program of NOFA Vermont through which each county is assigned a mentor, who helps connect farms and farm-based educators with schools and the broader community. Learn about your mentors and connect with them today!
- ABC’s of Farm-Based Education This is a 3-day workshop for farmers and educators held annually at Shelburne Farms. To see upcoming dates, view the Shelburne Farms calendar of Educator Programs.
- Why Host School Visits? Farming and Countryside Education
- Is Your Farm Ready for School Visits? Farming and Countryside Education
- What Can You Offer to Schools and Others Visiting Your Farm? Farming and Countryside Education
Last modified November 04 2016 09:19 AM