Duo Security is a multi-factor authentication tool used by the university to protect sensitive information. Upon logging into a Duo-protected site, you will be required to perform an additional authentication via push notification, SMS text, or phone call to a registered device.
Enrolling in Duo
- In order to use Duo, you must be registered with UVM’s program here: https://account.uvm.edu/multifactor.
NOTE: If you’ve previously enrolled a device in Duo, you may receive a prompt asking you to use your currently enrolled MFA device(s) to access this page. If none of your second factor devices are available, please contact the Tech Team (802)-656-2604 for additional options.
- Click “Activate Manage Duo Security”
- Click on “Add Phone”
- Enter phone number, nickname, type of phone, and, if mobile, the platform used.
- Click “Add Phone”. If registering a landline, you can skip down to the section on Authenticating with a phone call. If registering a smartphone, continue.
- If registering a smartphone. You will receive two texts.
- The first text includes a link to the app in the appropriate app store to download and install it.
- The second text includes a link activating your UVM account on Duo, which should be opened by the Duo app.
When logging into a Duo-protected site, you will be presented a screen asking you how you wish to log in. If at all possible, select “Push notification”. Phone calls and texts have a monetary cost associated with them.
Authenticating with a Push Notification
When authenticating by Push, your phone will give you a notification with the option to confirm or deny the login. Confirming will result in a successful login.
Authenticating with a Phone Call
When authenticating with a call, an automated call will prompt you to hit any key, which will result in a successful log in. You do not have to wait for the recording to finish to hit any key.
Authenticating with a Text
With an SMS text, a text will be sent to your device with a 6-digit passcode. Enter this code into the passcode text input at the Duo WebAuth screen.
Authenticating with an Offline Passcode
If you have the Duo mobile appinstalled on your device and do not have access to a cell data service or WiFi, you can still use a passcode as your additional factor. To use a passcode, click the key icon next to the University of Vermont Duo entry. This will display a 6-digit passcode which can be entered in the passcode text input.
Authenticating with a Hardware Token
If you are unable to utilize Duo’s mobile and telephonic options, you can use a hardware token as your addition factor. If using a YubiKey, ensure the device is inserted into your USB port and that the passocde text input element is in focus (this is set to happen by default). Activate the YubiKey by pressing the button and your one-time password will be automatically submitted into the WebAuth form. If using a Duo token, enter the numerical passcode displayed on the token.