University of Vermont

Sponsored Project Administration - SPA

SPA A-to-Z topics | 217 Waterman Building . 85 South Prospect Street . Burlington, Vermont 05405 . (802) 656-3360


Material Transfer Agreements

Please visit the Forms Library for forms related to Material Transfer Agreements.

A Material Transfer Agreement or, MTA, is a written contract between UVM and an outside party setting forth the terms and conditions for the transfer of the providing party’s proprietary materials or research tools to the receiving party for use in the receiving party’s research programs.

Such research materials and tools can include, for example, transgenic animals, cell lines, cultures, proteins, human or animal DNA, nucleotides, or chemical compounds including compounds from pharmaceutical companies.

An MTA provides for transfer of possession of the material; however, title or ultimate control remains with the materials provider. UVM enters into MTAs with other non-profit institutions, the federal government, private corporations, and different entities outside the United States.

UVM can be either the provider or recipient of research materials or tools.

Material Transfer Agreements in Depth

  • Click here for an in depth discussion of the issues involved in executing MTA including UVM's process and procedures.

Incoming MTAs

  • Find information here about MTAs for materials or tools being provided to UVM from another institution or company.

Outgoing MTAs

  • Find information here about MTAs for UVM materials or tools being provided by UVM for research use at another institution or company.

Sample MTA Agreements

  • Please visit the Forms Library for forms related to Material Transfer Agreements.

Office of Technology Commercialization
University of Vermont
Given Building E201
89 Beaumont Ave
Burlington, Vermont 05405

Last modified May 07 2013 02:25 PM

Contact UVM © 2017 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131