



AGENDA

10th Meeting of the 2023-2024 Student Government Association Senate
October 17th, 2023 | 7:00 PM | Livak Ballroom

Call to Order

This meeting was called to order by Speaker Ashleigh Clark.

Roll Call

Senators Rai, Garcia, Khan, Halvorson, Wiltz, and Murphy not present.

Approval of Minutes

Minutes approved unanimously.

Public Forum

Romeo von Hermann – Church Street Marketplace Commissioner, GMT Stations & Customer Services Supervisor, and BTV Dems Recording Officer/Secretary

- Represents Church Street Marketplace within Church Street district for public safety, business and resident interests.
- Here to get to know people, learn what SGA does, and invite students to city council meetings.
- We feel there is a lack of student participation and want to hear from you. What is missing? Why do students not want to come speak when everything that happens here is affecting you as well?

- What can the city do for students? And what can you do for the city?

Vice President Purple: What do you do in your role with safety on Church Street?

- **Response:** Representing the district to make sure it's safe for everyone who comes there. Making sure people can do business safely and limiting the presence of panhandling and homelessness. Representing businesses and residents who want to shop to make sure Church Street is a vibrant and enticing place for everyone.

Treasurer Sorensen: How did you get involved with work with the city? How can we?

- **Response:** First thing to do is show up for meetings and talk to your city or ward councilors. Ward council represents your interests in the city council. Talk to them and learn more about what you can do and what they can do for you.

Senator Siegel: How does our safety compare to other similar communities like Pearl Street in Boulder?

- **Response:** I don't know that information, but Burlington is a unique environment and I believe it's important to examine it individually instead of trying to co-opt others' solutions.
 - I lived in Germany before coming to Burlington. They value public safety and engagement highly with everyone chipping in. Students are actively engaged in city services, so I was surprised to see the lack of that here.

Senator Carpenter: What do you think are important issues that student input would be valuable for?

- **Response:** Public safety, chronic theft, substance abuse, mental health, homelessness. We want your ideas on how we can solve these problems.

Senator Jones: It sounds like you have already brought up many of the main issues I care about. Everyone knows about public safety issues on Church Street, a person in our friend group who's had a bad experience, not to be there late into the evening. I recommend trying to tackle evening safety, which is obviously a very hard issue with many factors playing into it. We don't have a simple answer either, but we would love to work with you on these issues.

- **Response:** I'm not looking for an answer, I just want to invite you to city council meetings and commission meetings. I'm grateful you are thinking about issues and how you can contribute. I worry about our appearance for people coming from out of town and thinking why is our crime rate comparable to significantly larger cities?

Senator Moody-A'ness: I used to live in Germany also and loved the community building and Christmas markets. I know there was a Christmas market downtown last year which could be a great opportunity to get students down there and to collaborate with SGA and clubs to set up stalls.

- **Response:** Yes that's great, we would love to collaborate.

Chair Rooney: A lot of us don't see Burlington as our city until we're off campus because you aren't really in it with the dorms. There's a disconnect where you feel like part-time residents when you're on-campus and then you recognize issues more when you move off-campus but maybe it's too late or you have a lot going on. Going forward maybe we can do something with orientation to emphasize this point and put it out there early to students.

- **Response:** You have something to contribute no matter how long you're here, or where you live. We would love to work with you to make that connection with students earlier.

Chair Teferra: What time are the council meetings?

- **Response:** Twice a month on Mondays or Tuesday if there's a holiday. Session starts in April. City council meetings are more mundane and bureaucratic, planning events and budget.

Treasurer Sorensen: Are they happening now?

- **Response:** Yes, the next one is on next Monday the 23rd.

Jennifer Demers – Introducing the PIVOT Peer Educators Program

- Faculty in the Biomedical and Health Sciences Department developing a peer educator program to combat interpersonal violence.
- PIVOT stands for Preventing Interpersonal Violence via Outreach and Training.
 - Interpersonal violence covers sexual violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, etc.
- This program is the direct result of recent student activism which was very inspiring. It was one of the demands that students gave to the administration.
- It will be a 2 course series, with the first course piloting this spring and more extensive implementation next year.
- The 1st course is knowledge building, learning all you can to be a better citizen and advocate. This is very important and anyone can do that. We expect a drop off of enrollment between the two courses.
- The 2nd course is learning to be a peer educator, putting knowledge into action. Part of the course includes running workshops and focus groups, social media campaigns, and holding events in a very collaborative and creative environment.

- After finishing the courses, peer educators will hopefully continue to do this work. We don't know exactly how that works yet, but would want to compensate peer educators in some way to keep them engaged.
- We know there are issues about prevention programs targeting specific groups, so this program is very intentionally intersectional and unpacking how victimization is experienced differently by everyone.
- Senator Rai invited me to talk to you here because you will be hearing a lot more about this as it comes up.
- We will be conducting a needs assessment to learn what specific needs are so it can be tailored to the community instead of one size fits all.
 - This involves reaching out to groups, qualitative interviews and quantitative surveys to design for UVM's unique needs.
- I currently have 4 program development assistants working with me for credit and room for 2 more. Please reach out to me if you are interested and passionate about this process, qualitative analysis, running focus groups, survey development.

Vice President Purple: Do students receive some accreditation or standardization after completing the program?

- **Response:** Yes, I'm looking into that. There is a standardization from NASPA that we can get, and other programs as well. I'm looking into taking the course so if students wanted to be certified they could be. But none of them are as comprehensive or inclusive of the diversity aspects we are hoping to include.

Senator Orr: Will the 2 courses be available to take simultaneously? Are there multiple sections?

- **Response:** Exact specifics are still up in the air. The pilot in spring is just the first course and then the second course will pilot in the fall. We're trying to get the first course to run again in the fall so the progression can be started in fall or spring.

Chair Anis: Once they complete the second course, what will peer educators do?

- **Response:** The goal is to keep peer educators engaged and we're exploring options for how to compensate them for their time.
 - It could be a paid internship for workshops, but we're looking at many models so we can recognize time after credit.
 - We want to have monthly meetings dedicated to different identities and critically examining if our program is reaching everyone and being inclusive.
 - There is also some money for guest speakers so peer educators would have a voice in who we get for that.

Senator Richardson: How has your research inspired and played into this course and program?

- **Response:** Victoria Banyard, one of the founders of bystander intervention, was a very impactful mentor at UNH where I went for grad school.
 - Before this idea the focus was on looking for potential perpetrators and victims, but bystander intervention is about recognizing that this is a community problem and peer educators are central to that idea.
- At Wichita State, community psychology, I learned about academic colonialism, where researchers go into communities and say here's a generic fix to publish and then leave.

Treasurer Sorensen: What is the scale of this program? How much space is there?

- **Response:** The pilot is capped at 30 for the spring, but there should be more space going forward. The 1st course will probably have more space than the 2nd because of natural dropoff. Lots of this preliminary information has to be talked through with other people, I'm not making this happen on my own.

Senator Carpenter: Has there been conversation about transferring this programming to other parts of campus like RAs, FSL, Club Sports?

- **Response:** The idea is that peer educators would reach out to those groups. The course is open to everyone and trying to be desirable for everyone as well. I'm trying to get D1 or D2 so it can be more appealing to students outside of Public Health.

Senator Blessington: It sounds like you have a great starting point, I'm sure people will love this program. How can SGA help to promote this?

- **Response:** Right now I'm relying on my students telling me how they like to receive info and the best way to market. After piloting this spring maybe I can come back and ask for that advice or help from SGA. We're also hoping to answer many of these questions in the needs assessment as well.

Senator Poland: Are you looking at ways to promote currently?

- **Response:** I set up a meeting with the communications person in the College of Nursing to build a website by the end of this semester. I'm involving students in social media, but those materials need to be workshopped and put through focus groups. We also aren't worried about having enough people to fill the pilot.

Senator Isenhour: Everyone needs to take D1 and D2 classes and will search for that in the catalog, so less effort needs to be put into marketing for that.

- **Response:** Yes, exactly. The bigger issue is keeping engaged after courses.

Old Business

Bill Recognizing Jewish Student Union, Sponsored by Senator Connors

- We want to create a space by and for the Jewish community at UVM, that is also open to anyone to communicate, connect, and share culture with others.
- JSU will be a network to connect to the community and learn about other groups and for others to learn about Judaism and bridge the gap.
- Working with admin to combat antisemitism and club would work with that

Senator Orr: Are you working with Hillel?

- **Response:** We are separate, but might host events with them. This is a student organization with no middleman compared to outside organizations like Hillel.

BILL: PASSED unanimously, Senator Connors abstained

Treasurer Sorensen: Motion to table Springfest Bill.

Emergency Business

New Business

Bill to Amend Article 3 Section 2 of the Constitution

Bill Recognizing UVM Telemark Ski Club

Senatorial Forum

Senator Arnone – TEDx Event

- A potential idea we've been talking about in committee is to hold a TEDx event where selected students would give talks.
- They have lots of rules about format and things, for example you can only have 100 audience members. So maybe it would be a ticketed event?

Senator DeGroot: Would this be an Earth Week thing, or just in general?

- **Response:** It could be, but I was thinking of more generally, or can have different themes.

Senator DeGroot: Can we broadcast this event so everyone could watch it?

- **Response:** Yes, it can be live streamed.

Senator Siegel: Great idea! The official TEDx name could bolster the appearance of UVM as a public ivy.

Senator Jones: Would it be a singular event or like a once a semester thing?

- **Response:** I think start with one event and then if it goes well expanding to every year or semester?

Treasurer Sorensen: You could soft launch in the spring with environmental classes being the focus.

Chair Rooney: You could broaden it outside of earth week by having a student from each college for different times to have more talks with a variety of subjects.

Senator Rice: You could make it extra credit for a class potentially to encourage submissions.

Senator Daniels: Lots of students are doing work that they are very passionate about and many people would want this platform to share it. I think avoiding extra credit could promote self motivation and weed out less thoughtful submissions.

Executive Reports

Speaker Clark

- Thanks to all who looked over minutes and sent feedback, and congratulations for having our first minutes approved.
- Working with Meg in the SGA office to upload minutes to the website so everyone can view.
- In order to continue to foster transparency as the minutes note-taker for Executive meetings, I will be sharing topics of discussion beginning now.
 - Treasurer Sorensen and Chair Khan shared updates on the sexual violence prevention training with the club signers including formatting and logistics.
 - We also discussed an idea in Judicial which Senator Richardson brought up for conduct metrics so senators know the protocol they are being held to.
 - Please contact me or your chairs with any questions about content discussed in these meetings.
- I'm a student representative on the Budget, Finance and Investment Committee alongside Senator Siegel on the Board of Trustees which is meeting this Friday.
 - I will be sharing my findings next week.
 - If you want something mentioned contact us. It is open to the public, you can access the schedule online.

Senator Petrosyan: How should we send comments on the minutes?

- **Response:** Please send questions or comments to the SGA Speaker email, it is easier for me to have that in one place. However, I understand you can't always remember to do that. I will also share our Scribe's email if you want to contact him directly.

Vice President Purple

- Office tours are underway and going well. I will reach out if you have not scheduled one yet because you need to do that.
- A reminder that committees usually dress up in a themed costume for Halloween. Help each other out with ideas, talk to your chairs and other committee members for ideas. Please participate as much as you're comfortable, this is a fun tradition.
- Helping senators with projects.
- Interviewing candidates as part of a search committee for a new director at the Center for Health and Wellbeing.

President Eisenberg

- The full strategic plan will be attached in Teams tonight. I am working with Chair Robinson to try to condense it to send out an email to the whole student body that includes lots of information but be less wordy.
- Please RSVP by next Tuesday (October 29th) for the Provost Lunch on October 29th. The link is in Teams.
- Someone reached out about a blood drive on this Friday from 11:30-5:30 in Waterman. The link is in Teams, there are some requirements healthwise so check that out before signing up.

Treasurer Sorensen

- I met with Annie Valentine, the President of UVM Staff United, and talked about challenges they are facing and how we can support them.
- The group who expressed interest in working with the union and writing a resolution to support them is meeting tomorrow.

- Chair Anis, Chair Khan, and I are meeting tomorrow morning with Elliot Ruggles.
- I'm also on a Board of Trustees committee with Senator Carpenter meeting Friday afternoons.
- Everyone raise your hand if you've heard of Fall or SpringFest (everyone raises hand). Keep your hand up if you've gone (few stay up). Keep your hand up if you would've changed something (hands stay up).
 - Come join the SpringFest planning committee please, I sent out an email and link in Teams. Reply by tomorrow.

Senator Siegel: Can I pick who's singing?

- **Response:** I'll give more context on the role. For contract reasons, the group that picks artists is small, like 3 people, who sign NDAs so we don't void a contract. The planning committee is polling students, picking food vendors, activities, merchandise, marketing and things like that.

Senator Aliyev: How many free tickets are we getting? And can they be sold for profit?

- **Response:** Free tickets are reserved for if you help set up the day of, even if you aren't on that committee.

Senator Daniels: What does the time commitment look like?

- **Response:** We started earlier this year so it is less rushed. We have a 45 minute meeting once a week, sometimes every other week. Those meetings involve thinking about what you want at springfest and what others want.

Committee Reports

Public Relations Committee

- Working on Week of Kindness PR and promotional materials.
- Also working on messaging around Halloween safety. Please reach out with ideas.

Committee on the Environment

- I hope Treasurer Sorensen finds someone for the planning committee, he's cool and you should help him.
- We had a meeting today with two members from SOJO (Social Justice Outdoors) with the Outing Club.
 - They're interested in getting the same speaker we want on campus and have already submitted a proposal so we are backing them and putting ours on hold.
 - Their idea is to have 4 speakers throughout the spring and fall semesters relating to social justice and outdoors including Dr. Carolyn Finney, who spoke here last year for the MLK Keynote.
 - It's a great feeling to collaborate with people who have the same interests!
- Senator Kasmer is reaching out to the Food Recovery Network about reducing food waste.
- We're collaborating with UPB for trivia night in December. Senator Moody-A'ness suggested a category on big cats so hit him up about that.

Committee on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity

- Continuing along on projects.
- Senator Joshi is tabling to gauge student interest on a car theft prevention lock. I will get back to you on dates for that.

- Senator Poland and I met with Elliot Ruggles to begin planning for Sexual Violence Awareness Month (SVAM) in April. This is a big thing for CODIE, so we're starting on that now.
 - Please reach out with ideas. We want this process to be as collaborative as possible so if you want to come to future meetings please reach out.
- Bar of the week from Yeat (Thank you to Speaker Clark and Senator Isenhour):
“When life gives you lemons, then crush them”

Committee on Legislative and Community Affairs

- Reminder to take care of yourself as we're at the point in the semester when there is lots of work.
- Senator Blessington is moving forward with meetings for his showcase.
- Senator Jones is working with Treasurer Sorensen on Staff United efforts and also having meetings with Erica Caloiero and Elliot Ruggles coming up to evaluate the sexual violence prevention training program.
- Senator Fleming had a good meeting with parking last Friday to work on bus system improvements.
- Senator Garcia had a ton of updates from wards 1, 2, and 3.
- The Community Development Block Grant Advisory Board is looking for a student to help out. If you have interest, let Senator Garcia know.
- Senator Reeder is looking into different areas on campus for additional seating.
- The Community Coalition is this Friday from 3-4:30, I will be presenting on the strategic plan. I'll send a Zoom link in Teams.

- Community Cleanup is officially Saturday 11/4, time is still TBD but I'll try to let you know as soon as possible.
- Song of week: Linger by The Cranberries

Student Action and Well-Being Committee

- It's good to be back after the concussion.
- CSAW in general has been continuing work on our projects.
- Senator Garavan had Ask an Admin with Chair Khan last week. I'm very proud of her work and effort.
- Senators Keppel and Ambrose are meeting with Elliot Ruggles tomorrow to talk more about sexual violence prevention. Each diff groups
- Senator Keppel met with Annie Valentine to talk about Cats Practice Consent and how that campaign can be utilized more.
- Senator Orr is on the dining advisory committee meeting next Thursday. He's working on a presentation that will be shared in Senatorial Forum. Send ideas to him on that.
- Senator Richardson meeting with Zyakkiriah Rhoden. Looking to work with state representatives and advocate for low income students.
- I had a Curriculum Committee Faculty Senate meeting that was very interesting and I have lots of notes so let me know if you want more information about that.
- Meeting tomorrow with Treasurer Sorensen and a few other Senators to work on a resolution supporting Staff United.
- Week of Kindness large update with a master calendar will be presented next week.

- Senator Richardson, who was on the ad hoc, had a meeting with Claire Whitehouse about working on an event with Staff United to have a more formal showcase of support with the student body as negotiations come up in January.
- Senator Orr was working with UVM Dining to have an event and they were very gracious to offer all the materials for that event.
- Chair Teferra got 50 free Campus Rec guest passes to raffle off.
- I'll have a list of how many people we need to help with individual events next Tuesday. We're going to need a lot of help with backend stuff: picking up supplies from Costco, cleaning out the cage, packing goodie bags, etc. Please reach out if you can help as much as possible.
- Michael Schirling is setting up an event.
- We have an event with all the identity centers.

Club Affairs Committee

- Senator Modun reading for Chair Khan.
- Working on projects.
- As always, reach out if you need anything.

Academic Affairs Committee

- Senators DeGroot and Wiltz met with the career center about resource and networking event.
- Senator Wiltz met with the Drug and Alcohol Team about fentanyl test strips and making info cards available about laws for different states.

- Senator Siegel gathered a wonderful team including Senator Isenhour for Together VT and looked over potential logo designs and taglines.

Finance Committee

- Nothing to report.

Senatorial Comments/Announcements

Senator Moody-A'ness: Meeting with student ambassador program and OSCR at their house either Wednesday or Thursday of next week at 6. It's open for anyone if you're interested in brainstorming or free food. Once I have an exact date, I'll put it in Teams.

Chair Teferra: Shout out a couple events happening this week. Tomorrow at 6:30 in Votey 205 UVM Amnesty is holding a space for a discussion on Gaza and Palestine. On Thursday at 7:30 on the Waterman Green there is a candlelight vigil for victims in Gaza.

Vice President Purple: This Saturday UVM Spike is teaming up with Rallython to do a fundraiser spikeball tournament from 12-3 on the Davis Green. I can send out the link if you're interested.

Senator Ibinyopakaka: This Saturday ASU is hosting a night market at the Gutterson parking lot. A bunch of clubs will be selling food, check the ASU Instagram for the time.

Adjournment