



16th Meeting of the 2022-2023 Student Government Association Senate
January 31st, 2022 | 7:00 PM | Livak Ballroom

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by Speaker Purple.

Roll Call

Senator Orr, Senator Bednarik, Senator Russell, Senator Orr, and Senator Rosegard absent.

Approval of Minutes

Minutes approved unanimously.

Public Forum

- Katelyn, second year medical student. Went to St. Mikes for undergrad, involved in SGA, started as class president and then as SGA president for a year. St. Mikes didn't have a trustee position for students, so I think it is awesome that UVM offers this.

Senator Bourgault: I was wondering if you have a specific plan for getting undergrad perspectives on stuff.

Katelyn: Definitely coming to these meetings is important. Also meeting with the RAs, chatting with Maddie Henson.

Old Business

Bill Recognizing Sustainable Fashion Club

- Bill sponsored by Speaker Purple.
- Safe environment to educate people in the community about ethical fashion practices.
Seminar based discussions, shopping sustainably, and engaging in fun fashion related activities.
- Bill: **Passed** unanimously, Speaker Purple abstained.

Bill Allocating Funds to UVM Club Snowboarding

- Bill sponsored by Chair Elkort.
 - **VP Wood:** When you make this number, do you go through everything all the costs that they might need?
 - **Senator Elkort:** We go through everything that they might need, all travel expenses, registration fees, and cut out things that are covered by fundraising efforts.
- Bill: **Passed** unanimously, Senator Elkort abstained.

Emergency Business

Nominations for Judicial Committee, Senator Khan and Senator Collins

- Nominations: **Passed** unanimously.

New Business

Bill recognizing Foosball Club

Bill recognizing UVM Herbalism Club

Senatorial Forum

Chair Eisenberg / President Henson - Ad Hoc Presentation

- Risk and opportunity based guidelines to assess administration. Being very clear about what we want to be done in response to various issues, and who's responsibility they are.
- Three main categories of risk: Social, Financial, and Student Experience.
- The first thing we want to do is outreach, using emails and instagram posts to reach out to students and gather what their qualms are, where they would like to see change. Once we have information from the focus groups, we'll see if there's other issues that the student body may not have the information regarding and add those as well.
- We usually have the opportunity to present to the board of trustees in May, but someone in exec brought up how it would be far more beneficial to present at the start of the year, so we're going to try to present at the October meeting.
- This will be a biannual effort.

Chair Teferra: Were you going to mention the constitution?

Response: Our goal is to eventually incorporate this into the constitution. We're drafting an amendment now.

Senator Smith: I wanted to bring this back to a wider discussion on focus groups. I was wondering if you can dig into how this biannual process will be different from what we do as senators on a daily basis.

Response: I love this question. This systematizes and makes sure that we are getting every student issue, in writing, to the administration. We are a 2.1 to 3 million dollar organization, and we need a bit of direction, and we will benefit from a strategic plan. In

this kind of format, we will provide concise feedback, and show measurable progress in various issues.

Senator Smith: How did you guys decide on every two years?

Response: We decided that every year was too fast, the senate year goes by so quickly. Every two years it will still be fresh in people's minds but not an intensive ongoing process.

Unknown: Can you explain where the data is coming from? Are we going in and studying student groups?

Response: The excel sheet is stuff that the committee is dealing with, the focus groups are more conversation based. We'll take what students say and see how frequently they are bringing up different issues. We wanted to also include quotes from students to demonstrate a wide range of student input.

Chair Teferra: I think that senate is seen as just a club recognition organization, and I think this will make us more legitimate in the eyes of students, they will see what we're doing.

Senator Jones: The majority of the data is collected from in-person focus groups, has there been thought given to surveys or QR codes?

Response: I was just discussing how QR codes can be manipulated to upload viruses.

Senator Jones: What about other forms of online surveys?

Response: We are going to see how the focus groups go and where we might be lacking in data.

Senator Jones: Is this more periodic check-ins with student groups, or is it ongoing? Will flares of student discontent be reflected in this data?

Response: That's a really good point, because we can't always account for the constantly changing statistical data. We can definitely include this in the report.

Treasurer Sorensen: We need to make sure the results are statistically significant

Senator Carpenter: Clarification about the general timeline, it seems like a very aggressive timeline.

Response: It is optimistic, as long as we get everything done by the start of the next school year we'll be ready.

Senator Collins: I was wondering what happens after it is submitted to the Board of Trustees?

Response: Submitting it to the Board of Trustees, they will definitely read it, that's 25 people it will reach. If administrators don't read it, I will find that hard to believe. I think we'll do follow ups about it.

VP Wood: Focus groups alone doesn't seem like the best way to get data. Student opinions alone doesn't seem like sound data.

Response: I am wondering what would be the student response rate to surveys. Maybe talking to Alex where he did something similar, I think about faculty advising, where he included quotes in his report.

Chair MacHarrie: How many responses are we shooting for on this?

Senator Bourdreau: When we worked with the office of sustainability last year, they would not even consider it statistically significant unless you had a minimum of 1,000 people.

Senator Borgault: How are you going to structure the focus groups?

Response: It'll be just groups of students, looking into reaching out to identity centers as well.

Senator Borgault: I am a little bit less certain about how you are going to actually evaluate the risk?

Response: These are links to the office of compliance and privacy services, this is the formula that they use. Every year they do a risk survey

Senator Charles: How will you factor in for bias and factors such as class rank, scholarship or financial status, etc?

Senator Kerin: In the sociology department, there's a professor who specializes in the fundamentals of social research, Professor Jennifer Strickler.

Senator Sanford: What is the overall goal?

Response: It is to see change in the administration.

Senator Smith: Earlier you mentioned putting this into the constitution, when would that occur?

Response: We would want to wait at least a year, maybe two, and once we see the responses and how we're able to put this in a report, then we'll

Chair Teferra: If admin doesn't take the steps that we outline or have any response to this, a huge goal of this is to show that a lot of problems are shared among students.

VP Wood: This report is to show us what we need to do, instead of passing the responsibility off on admin. This can show us where we need to step up and what students need from SGA.

Response: It's something to help keep admin responsible, the specific steps we'll outline in this report, day to day steps to increase accountability.

Executive Reports

Speaker Purple

- In an effort to be more transparent, I want to give a brief summary of what we discuss in exec, so this week we continued the break housing conversation, we discussed the ad hoc, and we talked about the senate retreat.
- Uploaded the past legislation to the drive.
- Platforms are out!

Vice President Wood

- Retreat Saturday! 9:30am to 11:30pm on 2/11
- Sweatshirts, I am waiting for the new senators before I send out the form again.
- I have some projects that I want to see done before my time ends, and I would love some help with them.
 - Public forum with the Burlington PD, last year we didn't have any actual police officers but community leaders.
 - Capping the costs of books for students.
 - CU Boulder and other schools have party registers, so if you're caught with noise complaints multiple times you're encouraged to register your parties. Interested in looking into that more.
- I want to reiterate that our focus should be on what SGA can do to help the student body and not what admin is failing to do.
 - **Chair Munier:** If you want help with the police public forum or the textbooks.

President Henson

- Thank you all again for the feedback from the survey.
- Dean check-ins at the start of the semester.

- Senator Lee and Senator Bednarik and I met with KC Williams on Friday, talked about course registration and course renumbering. It is a very confusing process, so she'll be coming into Public Forum.
- Chair Teferra came to my meeting with the Dean of CALS today.
- Senator Jones and I met with Michael Schirling UVM safety officer to talk about the cost of date rape kits.
- I need one more person for the Faculty Advisor Award ceremony

Treasurer Sorensen

- Discussed the ongoing conversations on break housing (summarized)
- Budget finalized that will be reviewed in 2025?

Committee Reports

Public Relations Committee

- Looking forward to meeting our two new members!
- Elections start tomorrow at 8am and end on Friday.
- Looking to do some Senator Shout-Outs with Senator Clark.
- Fill out the birthday survey.

Committee on the Environment

- Earth week planning underway
- Submitted the Sustainability Fund
- Looking to get another speaker

Committee on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity

- Working on SVPM
- CODIE and Club Affairs working on collab celebrating leaders of gender equity.

Committee on Legislative and Community Affairs

- Reach out with suggestions and ideas in relation to the ad hoc or if you would like to help

Committee on Student Action and Well-Being

- Senator Stanford is doing a project on getting Plan B and pregnancy tests at Living Well
- Senator Batyrshina is working **on the FDA?**
- Senator Ravaschiere is also working on getting a course on mental health created
- Senator Orr had a meeting with dining faculty and they will be coming to public forum soon
- Week of Kindness, we had our first meeting last week and it went really well. We're going to switch it up with different days of different focuses. If you would like to help please reach out! Meetings are Sunday at 4pm.

Club Affairs Committee

- We have some new clubs coming in soon

Academic Affairs Committee

- We had our first committee meeting yesterday, which I wanted to open up to everyone. If anyone wants to talk to any of us about anything we are more than open to having you guys show up to our meeting.
- Almost positive that Ann Barlow will be coming into Public Forum at some point.
- This Thursday we are talking about course evaluations.
- Rather Intriguing French Fact: From 1748 to 1772, potatoes were illegal.

Finance Committee

- Budgeting coming up this Saturday! Will be spending all day in the SGA office working on club budgets

Senatorial Comments/Announcements

Adjournment