Logger piles up logs with front loader

Washington Forest encompasses 108 wooded acres in the town of Washington, Vermont. While several tree species, including yellow birch and white ash, have been planted on the Washington Forest, most of the growth is native, representing the classic Vermont northern hardwood forest. 

Washington Forest was originally a leased land established in 1938, but it was reclaimed by the University in the early 1970s and was offered to UVM for silviculture research. Long term research was begun in the 1970s by faculty member, Dr. Peter Hannah, who studied the regeneration and growth of high value hardwoods.Today, the Washington Forest remains within the management care of the Rubenstein School and is the site for regional forest ecosystem climate change research led by Dr. Tony D'Amato.