Vermont Law School building near water

The Master of Environmental Law and Policy (M.E.L.P.)/Masters of Science in Natural Resources (M.S. - Natural Resources) Dual Degree Program is offered by Vermont Law & Graduate School's Environmental Law Center and the University of Vermont's Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. The program gives students an opportunity to deepen their graduate education by integrating significant aspects of the complementary disciplines of environmental law, policy, and science.

Course of Study

Students in the Dual Degree Program may earn both degrees with a total of 42 credits. Students must meet each school's degree requirements, including required courses and thesis preparation. Students take a minimum of 21 credits at VLGS toward the M.E.L.P. degree and a minimum of 21 credits at UVM toward the M.S. (Natural Resources) degree. Students may transfer a maximum of 9 credits between the two programs. Courses to be transferred must meet the requirements of the Dual Degree Program. Transferred credits may be applied toward both degrees.

Students have a maximum of five years to complete the Dual Degree Program. Course credits to be transferred must be taken within that five year period.


Students interested in the Dual Degree Program are required to apply separately to each school. Each school admits students according to its own criteria for admission. Dual Degree applicants may be discussed and coordinated by admissions officials at both schools, when appropriate. Students may apply for admission to the Dual Degree Program at any time prior to the awarding of the degrees.


Students admitted to the Dual Degree Program will have separate academic advisors in each school. These advisors assist with curriculum planning, program requirements, and similar matters. Advisors are faculty members familiar with the course requirements for both schools.


Each school applies its own grading system to students in the program. Students must be in good academic standing at both schools to remain in the program. Each school issues its own transcript.


After completing the requirements for either degree, students will receive a diploma from the appropriate school and may attend graduation.

Learn More

Vermont Law & Graduate School's Environmental Law Center
Phone: 800-227-1395 or 802-831-1217
VLGS website:
VLGS MELP/MSNR webpage: Dual Degree with Vermont Law & Graduate School

Rubenstein School Master's Program
RSENR Graduate Program coordinator:
RSENR phone: 802-656-2911

University of Vermont–Vermont Law & Graduate School Programs
3+2 and 3+3 Dual Degree Programs