Core Institutional Values Foundational to a Culture of Safety
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility. A safe campus environment is a right of employment for all categories of employees. A safe campus learning environment is a right of all involved in education and research.
- Good science is safe science. Safety is a critical component of scholarly excellence and responsible conduct of research.
- Safety training and safety education are essential elements of research and education. They instill a culture of safety in the next generation of researchers and future faculty, and they are important for our students’ career development and employability.
- An improved culture of safety is necessary to truly reduce risk throughout the academic enterprise.
- It is best to recognize that diverse methods and flexible approaches will be used by each institution to develop a strong culture of safety, unique to its situation.
APLU Produces Guide to Implementing Safety Culture (PDF)